vintage wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats the best solution to wash and preserve your old wetsuits in?

Need you ask? Urine of course.

In days of old, when knights were bold
before port-a-pottys were invented,
the best latrine was neoprene
especially when rented.

It's common knowledge that rental wetsuits typically last two to three times as long as purchased suits; must be the pee.

Yeah, putting the wrong search words into Google when it comes to rubber and neoprene can result in some odd web adventures to say the least.

I do not think there is anything to do to preserve them other than keeping them stored in a cool, dry environment out of the light and away from ozone equipment. Old rubber is just that, perhaps best left on that guys couch rather than in the water, yep, vintage diver or not, I draw the line when function is compromised. I will not spend another dime on old, rotten neoprene suits, fins, masks or any other such old junk. And there really is no modern equivalent, some things come close or perhaps close enough for some but frankly, my opinion, the fit and multi-panel construction of today's suits simply do not translate even if you are able to coerce somebody into making a suit for you out of a stash of smooth neoprene. It is more trouble than it is worth.

N

Back
Top Bottom