Vintage Underwater Movie Making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Physics of scuba was taught, Boyle's, Charles' laws were memorized and applied. I dare say most modern open water divers have never heard of them, let alone Archimedes.
All of those were an important part of the NAUI scuba diver class that I took a few years ago. We had to understand and answer test questions about each.

Luis

Just so you know you are always welcome here...You would be an asset to US Divers and the diving community

Cold water, some times crystal clear water, warm sunny days cool nights, no humidly temperature never over 75-- well on occasion 80 , no bugs but a lot of nuts running the state into the ground.

My wife assumed presidency of the local college from the former president who was from Puerto Rico via NYC,
So yes we have Puerto Ricans in Kalifornia

SAM

Thanks again.

I am actually not originally from Puerto Rico, but growing up in PR, deep inside I will always be part Boricua. It is a beautiful island with some beautiful people.

There are also many other beautiful Caribbean islands, many of which I have not yet explored, but I am working on it.

Some day I do need to do some diving in California. I have been diving a few times up in Washington State, in Puget Sound. But when I have been to California it was never long enough to try diving.

All of those were an important part of the NAUI scuba diver class that I took a few years ago. We had to understand and answer test questions about each.

Ok, so for extra points (just kidding), can you tell us the diving related scientist alphabet? I will give you two hints, it starts with the letter A and there were only 5 total. Can you tell us the name of the scientist and their significant contribution to diving?

You had to know this in my first NAUI class a few decades ago (and I still remember it well). :)

Ok, so for extra points (just kidding), can you tell us the diving related scientist alphabet? I will give you two hints, it starts with the letter A and there were only 5 total. Can you tell us the name of the scientist and their significant contribution to diving?

You had to know this in my first NAUI class a few decades ago (and I still remember it well). :)

If I may jump in here.... Is Martini one of them? I don't recall this at all from my Scuba Diver course.

ABC is obvious...

I forgot about this thread.

No, the list is of actual scientist names.

Here is the first letter of each scientist: A, B, C, D, H

For example B is for Boyle, and Boyle’s law:

“For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law, stating that the pressure and volume of a gas have an inverse relationship, when temperature is held constant.”

Do you want to guess on the other four scientist?

Archmedes Boyle, Charles, Dalton (had to look that one up) and Henry's.

A slight typo (I assume), but you got it. Thanks

Archimedes' principle, physical law of buoyancy, discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician and inventor Archimedes, stating that any body completely or partially submerged in a fluid (gas or liquid) at rest is acted upon by an upward, or buoyant, force the magnitude of which is equal to the weight of the fluid.

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law, stating that the pressure and volume of a gas have an inverse relationship, when temperature is held constant.

Charles's law (also known as the law of volumes) is an experimental gas law that describes how gases tend to expand when heated. ... When the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the Kelvin temperature and the volume will be directly related.

In chemistry and physics, Dalton's law (also called Dalton's law of partial pressures) states that in a mixture of non-reacting gases, the total pressure exerted is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of the individual gases.

Henry's law is one of the gas laws formulated by William Henry in 1803 and states: "At a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas that dissolves in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid.

Damn, I forgot Martini’s law.... that brings back some memories.

OK, not everything was as scientific as they tried to present it or implied. o_O

The attempt to try to quantify some stuff sometimes got a little bit carried away. :confused:

Thanks
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom