Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Voight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

Do you have Vintage Photos - photos from underwater and topside? (wow, this is my 40 year certification anniversary!)

ScubaBoard Net Doc (Pete), the folks at History of Diving Museum, and Vivid-Pix (me - Rick) have come up with a way to have fun with your and our photo memories - a thread - to share photos, stories, learn a few things, have some fun, and win some prizes.

Rick PADI.jpg

I'm the sacrificial lamb (Pete, you owe me a t-shirt).

A picture says a thousand words - but words put photos into context - the story. This is my dive story! What's yours?

Belize.JPG

These "current" vacation photos are from a few years ago. My daughter did her open water dives at Blue Hole, New Mexico - only fitting we went to Belize...

199140_1440596651324_1125270583_31740412_6059640_n.jpg

I took my first dive in Acapulco, on a family vacation, as a kid (my profile picture) - a well run resort course (probably not agency structured) - swim around the pool, understand the basics, make sure you're comfortable in the water, get on a boat, strap a 50 cc steel tank on a 10 year old kid, and throw him in the ocean... I was hooked.

A few years later I got certified by Sid Webster Jr., at Pisces School of Dive in East Rochester, NY.

Vivid-Pix RESTORE

Rick PADI.Vivid.jpg

These are the same pics from above that have been Vivid-Pix Fixed.

The girl on the right is my daughter - photos from a great Belize spring break from USAFA - Meg's now an advanced diver, past volunteer at the Charleston Aquarium - and both girls are now Captains in the U.S. Air Force.

Vivid-Pix LAND & SEA SCUBA

Belize.Vivid.JPG

199140_1440596651324_1125270583_31740412_6059640_n.Vivid.jpg

Please share some photos and stories with us! (on ScubaBoard and on Facebook: #ScubaBoard.com #VividPixFix #DivingMuseum).

What are the fun and prizes?

- ScubaBoard, Pete, has more t-shirts

- Vivid-Pix is giving away printed photos (your photos) - we have a lab setup to print improved underwater, land, and old photos: Vivid-Pix: Create & order photo books, prints, cards, canvas & more

- History of Diving Museum is going to share their photos and stories to teach us stuff.

Jump in - the water's fine!

If you want to improve your photos and are not familiar with Vivid-Pix, we have patented software to fix underwater and topside photos: Vivid-Pix LAND & SEA SCUBA Picture-Fix, and old pics: Vivid-Pix RESTORE Picture-Fix.

What's so unique about our software is that it is fast & easy to learn, use, and get pretty amazing results. We've sold in over 100 countries. If you don't use it, please give it a try - it's free (the trial):

LAND & SEA SCUBA:

Mac & Windows: LAND & SEA SCUBA

iPhone/iPad: Vivid-Pix LAND & SEA SCUBA on the App Store

RESTORE:

Windows: RESTORE

Sea Ya,
Rick

Attachments

• P9061174.JPG
    P9061174.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 138
  • P5120231.Vivid.JPG
    P5120231.Vivid.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 127
  • P9061174.Vivid.JPG
    P9061174.Vivid.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hi Sam,
Thank you for your service. Katie's a pilot. Meg's a PA officer with Combat Camera.

Thanks for letting me know that what I'm "promoting" doesn't come through. It's the beginning of a series we're going to be creating w/ScubaBoard and Diving Museum. Having folks share their photos/stories. Pete's going to take a look later tonight. Any advice you would have?

Thx,
Rick

Rick

Again Congratulations to the USAF Captains--

When I went in to the USAF it was a duty and obligation to serve - I, and all that served at that time were honored to serve our great county

What - were is the "Diving museum?"

SDM

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the congrats to the girls - they are also honored to serve our great country.

The Diving Museum is in Key Largo (Islamorada), FL. Good organization, non-profit, display the history of diving. They are expanding their Underwater Photo exhibit and I'm helping (volunteer and pay for it). Where in CA are you? 5K dives - that's a bunch.

Thanks Rick for all you are doing to help the History of Diving Museum. We are really looking forward to the upcoming Vintage Weekend Wonders! Can't wait to dive with a double hose regulator again. Will be so much fun and I dug out old pics for Sunday's Restore event.

Rick

Again Congratulations to the USAF Captains--

When I went in to the USAF it was a duty and obligation to serve - I, and all that served at that time were honored to serve our great county

What - were is the "Diving museum?"

SDM
Hi, Dive in next time your in the Florida Keys!

@Rick Voight
Now that I know who you are representing gives me better prospective on your project
May I suggest that you contact the heirs to some of the pioneer UW photography greats. Some that come immediately to mind are
1) Lamar Boren- a Bottom Scratcher and the Sea Hunt photographer-ZaleParry might still be in contact
2) Bob Kendal -1970 book Photographs Underwater - I am in contact with his widow
3) Ron Church-A pioneering giant - his daughter Tandi (and maybe his widow Shirley ) maintain a web site in Ron's honor

That is a start - there are many more

I didn't enter into UW photography until 1950s...I was an active charter member of the first UW Photo society aka UPS which was LA based. In early 1960s I was a co-founder of the third UPS in Orange county California, the Orange county UPS commonly known as O-Cups. (Some of my old UW photos are actually in focus )

Good luck in with your project.

@Lisa Mongy
I knew and chatted with your founder many times prior to his passing. I cant recall ever meeting his wife Sally
I was one of the founders of the US based "Historical diving society" (HDS) and was a member of the first Board of Directors and the first and only "HDS Director of sports diving"- So I do know a little about dive history- I lived it and made it.

Some day soon I must take time to visit your museum-- Maybe present a program ? I have a few in the can

Cheers from sunny Kalifornia - where it all began

SAM MILLER, 111

PS I note you are NASDS- Great!- I knew and dove with the founder John Gaffney often -- He was one of a kind !
When PADI began he had his dog certified as a PADI instructor -- Only "Goffey gaf" would do that ...
I sure miss him and his telephone calls...mooning and groaning! the office manager woukd always say "Shut up Gaff I will put Doc on the telephone" Oh!... the dazzz of R dives, sdm

Last edited:
In my early diving days, I was a member of the Salem Junior Aqua Club, which was closely associated with the Salem Aqua Club. We made trips to the Oregon Coast, and these two photos were taken while spearfishing off paddle boards off the coast at Port Orford, Oregon. These probably date to about 1963. I climbed up this rock to get the first photo, and the second is of my catch. Obviously, I was a bit younger then, had hair on the top of my head, and enjoyed the spearfishing a lot. This was free diving, not scuba (which I also did). This wetsuit is my second wetsuit, from White Stage out of Portland, Oregon. It is a custom pull-over, which was the warmest wetsuit then available (no zippers at all, and a powder entry).

SeaRat
NW Diving History001.jpg
NW Diving History003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom