Vintage Oceanic fins - farallon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Skin Diver" magazine write up June 1975.

Fara-fin 001_zps0rzetqhv.jpg Fara-fin 002_zpsg3w0ix33.jpg Fara-fin 003_zpsn8pjil1k.jpg Fara-fin 004_zpsuzvgsinz.jpg
john 68

Reactions: mdb
It is interesting that even Farallon produced a Jet Fin clone (as shown in the earlier posts in this thread).

Here are some pictures of my two Farallon fins. The one on the left with the brace has been discussed, but the one on the right seem to have been even less popular. I have only seen this pair.

I have used the fins on the right. They are just very stiff. The ones on the left are not usable. One of the braces has a big crack and the rubber attachment is also in bad shape.

When I worked in the dive shop in the 70’s, we were a Farallon dealer and we had at least one pair of the ones with the brace, but I don’t remember seen the ones on the right.

It is interesting that it had spring straps back then. The attachment system of the spring straps is also interesting. Another interesting point on that spring strap attachment is that one of the newest fins in the market, the Deep 6 Eddy fins are now also using the same spring strap attachment system.

Look at the similarity of the spring straps to these new fins:
Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Fins

I don't know when were the Farallon fins on the right (with the spring straps) around. I would be interested on knowing what years they were sold.

DSCN5380_zps84bukqr2.jpg

That spring strap system and the comfort of the foot pocket was way ahead of its time.

DSCN5378_zpsyyhf2kje.jpg

DSCN5377_zpsuroohwa9.jpg

Last edited:
I have been diving since 1961, all recreational until 1974 and used all types of fins. Farallon braced fins were without a doubt the best and most comfortable high thrust power I've have ever used. Boat access only, awkward off the beach unless you walk backwards.
I now use whatever works with a large foot pocket, required for 1/2 inch boots, required 1/2 inch suit too, and hot water from the on demand water heater; required for 4-6 hours working time. Your entire lower leg was important very effectively W/Farallon's braces (not exceptional W/O the brace, i.e. - springs backstrap option) ... All of your leg becomes a lever- thrust so exceptional when you 'lean on them' would allow the diver to 'pick up and swim' a 50-100 lb. bag of Urchins with amazing ease...and move out !
Awesome power !
19,000 hours commercial fishery diving work has been a exceptional job/avocation over the years as a 'hunter/gatherer'. Disaster from a few years of hot water in N. Calif.led to a Kelp die-off, and Purple urchins that moved off shore from 5' to 50', ate everything alive and killed off our Red Abalone fishery for now. Kelp is the real issue, and Purple Urchins by the BILLIONS the problem. We know removal works, but it must be by the millions. I built a fiberglass tube set and designed a gathering system to solve efficiency and time issues. The system requires a HUGE air compressor for two air lifts, 80 cfm, and the 'scooter' I just finished building (all hooka system- one hose to the diver, 75-90 p.s.i.) is capable of supporting 3 air lifts and 3 scooters, one each. Gast makes an air motor I use that cost 300.00, geared for 'mixers'. Build your own from the example I post next on you tube 'build video' this Spring.
You tube video's: Purple Urchin Removal W/proto-type air lift', parts 1,2 &3 are early, armature attempts for promote public interest and knowledge. All video were my hope of attention to this nightmare, but we now have results and proof we can do the work. California State O.P.C. offered to fund a pilot, but some in the fishery didn't want to 'remove Red urchins too', so that is now on hold.
For all video's related just google :Jon Holcomb' and you tube. Harry Barnard and I will continue @ North Casper alone as we have permits, will half-finish after 50 days work W/only one air lift between us, 5 hours total dive time each day, 35,000 lbs. removed in 2018. The Waterman's Alliance who paid us 500.00/ day total ( a bargain for 'proof of concept' work deserves our best and real results... and we intend to finish that agreement.
Side tracked, my apologies.

Farallon was so impressive I kept several parts to many pairs I purchased, final pairs called "Professional", or Navy Seal types were supposed to be stiffer (desirable)and made a swim-fin mold from one last fin in 1985, still have the mold, but never found a 'pore' type rubber, two part product to make these fins. The original back straps W/ rubber & plastic broke immediately, and after a few hundred hours use the rubber fins broke. I bought the last three pairs of fins only from the factory as they closed, ~~ 1984? or about the time Oceanic bought their name and joined the products. Too bad they didn't modify the back brace and Velcro strap set-up, we made use of the fiberglass reinforcement and solid S.S. rods to replace S.S. tubes which also snapped occasionally)

If anyone has a set of the rubber fins only, I'll pay 300.00 each for them, but the ULTIMATE would be ... THE ORIGIONAL METAL MOLDS ... always in metal, required for high heat vulcanization of 'original real rubber. I will modify that mold for a full foot fin as urchin spine protection if I ever find a suitable rubber two part compound, barrel hardness ~~ 70,- 75

Farallon made several REALLY neat products, their mouth piece still superior to any other I know of: boil water, drop it in, let it sit 3 min. and cool for just long enough to put into your mouth and 'set' for your teeth.
In most product development they rushed one thing: R&D 'testing over time'. It was HUGE mistake, and destroyed a very promising company. Senior management failed to did NOT do final R&D "testing over hours". That killed their face mask (leaked) - an excellent fit and view; really a shame. Same W/ their 'meter' for nitrogen ... back to understand oversight !
Constant 'come-backs' and repairs plaged the new company. I owned, still have the cases to two Farallon Mark 6 D.P.V's. # 1 was a lemon, # 2, $2,500.000 'used' in San Diego was nearly trouble free. I glassed on a control knob shield to both units to save the expensive, easily broken potentiometer knob from instant failure when bumped ... it stuck out the side of the rear case W/ zero concern for damage; a magnet for accidental impact - such a simple problem to solve..
Cheers, jonholcomb007@hotmail.com

Jon,

I still have two of the Farallon masks you talk about, one in silicone by White Stag.

39337547404_87d9fad46c_k.jpg
John's Mask, Snorkel & Helmet Collection by John Ratliff, on Flickr

I also still have two pairs of the Farallon braced fins.

48834169433_1e34292dd9_k.jpg
Fara-Fin Mod-2 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
One set, the back set, is in good shape, while the second set has problems. That second set is the one I modified for a better angle, and is wonderful in the water. The set still in its original format is the rear one in the photo above. I have not even used it, as I had my modified set available. I am open to selling it too, as I don't have use for two sets of these fins.

48834707942_5cc91e5ebf_k.jpg
Fara-Fin Repair finished by John Ratliff, on Flickr
That set had a broken rib, which I repaired. I sutured the broken rib with nylon, then used ShoeGoo to make that permanent--it worked. I will be again fixing the back, plastic part soon so that I can continue to use it.

SeaRat

When Farallon merged with Oceanic they also made the "Jet Fin" style with spring straps. Very rare. I have 2 pair of SP jets that I have retrofitted the original spring straps (from the older Farallon fins with springs) and I do have a pair of Oceanic aftermarket spring straps on a pair of SP jets. At one time I must have had 4 pairs of the Farallon fins with springs. They were horrible in the water, but the spring straps were bullet proof.

And not fin related, but I still use a Farallon snorkel as my only snorkel. Over the years I would find the orange moldable teeth bits on ebay cheap and buy them. BTW, the last Oceanic made those the changed the color to blue

Jon,

I still have two of the Farallon masks you talk about, one in silicone by White Stag.

View attachment 643601John's Mask, Snorkel & Helmet Collection by John Ratliff, on Flickr

I also still have two pairs of the Farallon braced fins.

View attachment 643602Fara-Fin Mod-2 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
One set, the back set, is in good shape, while the second set has problems. That second set is the one I modified for a better angle, and is wonderful in the water. The set still in its original format is the rear one in the photo above. I have not even used it, as I had my modified set available. I am open to selling it too, as I don't have use for two sets of these fins.

View attachment 643603Fara-Fin Repair finished by John Ratliff, on Flickr
That set had a broken rib, which I repaired. I sutured the broken rib with nylon, then used ShoeGoo to make that permanent--it worked. I will be again fixing the back, plastic part soon so that I can continue to use it.

SeaRat
John, glad to hear someone recognized them for what they were ... revolutionary, and still are, except for that 'discontinued' part.

As you or someone else here mentioned, the fin angle had to be changed. All we did was grind away the hinge contact area to approximately what you described, perhaps 15 degrees flatter. I still have a few parts, and two sets of hinges, a broken foot pocket and part of a fin. I also have a mold that someday I'll find a two-part 'pour rubber' that makes a good fin material. Probably ~~ 70 hardness. The two piece mold is made from a cherry fin ... 35 years ago! The 'military' version was a bit stiffer, but broke anyway.
Yours's is a creative repair John; well done !
... Interestingly the plastic back strap/rubber liner was both too small and way to fragile, broke ever time. I replaced the back plastic W/ fiberglass, and left out the rubber for a perfect fit, (larger lower leg diameter from thicker suits) . When the Vel-crow straps wore out after a few months we eliminated them, slid a M/C innertube slice up in rings over our legs first, dropped into the foot pocket and slid the 1" wide, 4" diameter 'rubber band' over the back strap. Zero problems. The only time the brace moved away was on the back stroke, zero power there anyway. You could almost delete the clamping to your leg.

Great fins. Same W/ the mask, but they all leaked.
About the mouth pieces: just drop them in a cup of boiling water, it's a plastic 'tooth mold' that slips on many different types of mouth pieces, a plactic with a memory, turns square again in boiling water, for another shot at a perfect fit.

Cheers, Jon

Jon,

I’ll have some more about the Fara-Fins after I make another repair. That should happen within the next few days.

Now, about that Farallon mask; there is a trick to getting it to fit, and not leak. They were originally sold with two short pieces of surgical tubing, which was meant to be placed on each side within the skirt and between the skirt and the glass. It could be pushed further in to make the skirt fit narrower masks. Mine needed both pieces to fit well, and when I did that it became the best mask I have used. It’s slightly better than the Scubapro Wide-vision mask (3 window) without the nose purge, which was the other of my favorite masks. But with this modification, that mask could be made to fit nearly any face shape.

SeaRat

John, I'm sorry I wasn't reading this more often. I grew up a bit in Hillsboro, 1951-'54, and we kids (!st thru 4th grade) took a buss to Beaverton for the pool there. Small world, that's where I learned to swim.

I think the rubber in the fin is about 60 hardness, and I've found a pour rubber that may work for my mold. Ideally a full foot fin pocket to protect from Sea Urchins, our fishery. Worst area needs protection around the bottom or back of the ankle.

I saw the Farallon mask, second from top/ left. When it worked a great mask. How sad the company didn't follow up and change just a few things about their 'new' products.
The spring back models weren't that impressive. A shorter and more flexable fin if I remember correctly. It was all about that brace...
Cheers, Jon

Who wants these

020.JPG

Rubber Jet fin things. Excellent!

Oceanic small... Oceanic medium...

Farallon medium... Generic XXL...

3 with new rubber straps. 1 with spring straps

Due to prohibitive postage costs Aussieland people only

Save them from the Nudgee transfer station landfill

Back
Top Bottom