Vintage Navy Depth Gauge Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jvisser

Reaction score
I just acquired a diver's depth gauge, black face calibrated in meters, range 0 to 50m. The gauge is all metal with a webbing band with stainless buckle and rivets, and is marked "Hamilton W. Co., Lancaster, PA, USA, American Navy, 1949" on the back.

I would sincerely appreciate any information on this piece.

Thanks,

jv

My 1955 edition of the U S Navy diving manual does not show any depth gauges in common service. It says that one is under development and may be in service in 1956. Also later Navy issue gauges are calibrated in feet not meters and any equiptment designed for Navy use only (not commercially avaliable to the public) would be marked
U S Navy not American Navy. My 1970 edition also does not show that particular gauge but does show two others both calibrated in feet. I don't know what you have. How did you acquire it

Captain

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the reply. I bought it on ebay, from an English dealer.

I was most attracted to the maker, Hamilton in Lancaster, Pa., and the apparently rugged, serviceable, timeless design.

How would I get more info on it?

jv

captain:
My 1955 edition of the U S Navy diving manual does not show any depth gauges in common service. It says that one is under development and may be in service in 1956. Also later Navy issue gauges are calibrated in feet not meters and any equiptment designed for Navy use only (not commercially avaliable to the public) would be marked
U S Navy not American Navy. My 1970 edition also does not show that particular gauge but does show two others both calibrated in feet. I don't know what you have. How did you acquire it

Captain

I'll make my best guess on this. I believe Hamilton W Co is the Hamilton Watch Company. They made watches and other items for the military during WW ll. You might try contacting them.

http://www.hamiltonwatchco.com/aboutus.php

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom