Viking Pro 1000 drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenkkij

Registered
Reaction score
Some one in my dive club is selling a fairly new Viking Pro 1000 all black drysuit for a really good price. Anyone with experience with this suit? what are it's strengths and it's weaknesses?

While I don't dive this suit, I do dive a Viking Sport and your suit compared to mine is tougher. The only disadvantage I can think of is it's heavier than mine.

I'm a fan of the Viking line and have loved every dive I've done. If you get a leak it's easy to locate that leak and patch it and IMO if it's a good deal I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The only thing possibly better is Vikings new suits they've come out with.

I own and dive the Pro 1000, all black.

The primary difference between the Pro and the Sport is that the sport is made of very stretchy material, where the Pro 1000 is made of very durable, but fairly inflexible, material.

It's main strength is...it's strength. This is one of the toughest drysuits on the planet. It can stand up to substantial abuse, and not suffer much for it. The beauty of the vulcanized rubber suit is that if you should puncture it, you can dry the spot with a paper towel, patch it with the included patch kit, and be back in the water in less than 10 minutes. (Try THAT with your DUI.)

The downside is...it's strength. Once you put this suit on, you should basically assume that you're going to be in this position for the rest of your dive, because there isn't much "give" in the material. This makes finning more difficult than in other suits, and I often find my hips and thighs "feeling the burn" of a really tough workout after about 30 minutes of swim time.

The other potential downside is that the attached boots are grossly oversized. The boot that I ordered is supposed to fit my size, but I can wear a rock boot INSIDE the attached boot. Needless to say, it makes getting them into the fin pockets something of a challenge; likewise removing them.

The only other qualm I have with this suit is that the legs are too voluminous. I have also heard others with this suit say the same thing. There is so much space in the legs that, when you are trying to inflate the suit, the legs will inflate long before your torso feels any relief from the squeeze. My solution to the problem was a pair of Dive Rite gaiters, where others have sent their suits out to have them reshaped (another $700 expense).

-Andrew

I currently own 3 of them and have had at least 10 over the years.
They are great suits. If the suit you are looking at is fairly new, it should have the heavy duty zipper. The older ones came with the standard zipper which is a weak point. If the price is really cheap a standard zipper would be a good deal as they are easy to replace.
Good luck,
John

I wish I could afford one. They are great suits. A little heavy but tough as nails.

Thanks for the responses.

UPDATE: I went to try on the suit and seriously considered to get it. It looked to be in really good condition etc.... But, I had two concerns. One, the dry hood added post production didn't fít well enough to make a good seal. Might have had to replace it. Next, although I had a pretty good range of motion, it was too tight at the waste with the undersuit on. Could have used an inch more or lost a few pounds (always a good thing). Anyway I will dive the summer in the wetsuit and consider geting a customized vol. rubber suit (Loitokari - small Finnish company) next year.

jenkkij:
Anyway I will dive the summer in the wetsuit and consider geting a customized vol. rubber suit (Loitokari - small Finnish company) next year.
sounds interesting, do they have a web site?

BD

jenkkij:
Anyway I will dive the summer in the wetsuit and consider geting a customized vol. rubber suit (Loitokari - small Finnish company) next year.
Do let us know if you do that.

A customized vulcanized rubber drysuit would be awesome!

Take care,
BD

I currently own 3 of them and have had at least 10 over the years.
They are great suits. If the suit you are looking at is fairly new, it should have the heavy duty zipper. The older ones came with the standard zipper which is a weak point. If the price is really cheap a standard zipper would be a good deal as they are easy to replace.
Good luck,
John

:Dhei John.Yes .The best suit for a dive.Dry & solid. Regards Armin.S-D :wink:

Back
Top Bottom