Views on Aqualung Calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering what people think of an Aqualung Calypso?

It would be for my dad and although cold water rated would only be used for tropical reef diving.

Are they easy to have serviced? Are parts readily available?
How do they breathe at 80 to 100 feet? Any hose routing issues? Could they be used in a long hose configuration?

Or .. are they rubbish and should be avoided?

TIA

The calypso is a very simple and reliable piston design. They are easy to service, Aqualung has a great dealer network with good odds for finding a dealer almost anywhere, and parrs are readily available.

Practical depth limit is perhaps 100'-130' as performance is roughly similar to other flowby unbalanced piston designs like the Scubapro MK 2.

Using a long hose with one is not a problem.

Older Calypsos were short on LP ports. Newer Calypsos should not have any serious routing issues unless you are doing something really different.

Thanks DA AquaMaster,

I've got my dad to arrange a try dive with the regs in a pool. It's the new Calypso and it's really cheap approx £140 .

He's also interested in a SeaQuest Passport BC but to be honest from what I've seen of it it looks a little too plasticky and delicate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom