viewpoints of Subic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir Chas

Registered
Reaction score
I have been diving at subic bay since 1997. I am an american and have been living in Olongapo for three years now. i know that the visibility is not great here and that many of the reefs are in poor health. I have dived a few times in batangas and while the vis was great and the reefs better, I found the boats and support lacking. I am currently getting involved with a company that will be marketing vacations to the Subic Bay area. Here are the questions i would like divers to answer if you would.
A. what percent of your dives are in batangas compared to subic
B. what is the major determining factor
c. what factors can be used to get more divers to visit subic
d. how do you rate subic

thanks

Sir Chas:
B. what is the major determining factor :
accessibility and familiarity

Sir Chas:
c. what factors can be used to get more divers to visit subic :

information on getting to , rates , amenities

i have a question , why use SIR in your nickname ?

The Islas Capones just north where the San Miguel Communications Station was located had fantastic diving opportunities with healthy reefs and lots of marine life. We just used local Banceros and had an absoutely wonderful time.

Sir Chas:
I have been diving at subic bay since 1997. I am an american and have been living in Olongapo for three years now. i know that the visibility is not great here and that many of the reefs are in poor health. I have dived a few times in batangas and while the vis was great and the reefs better, I found the boats and support lacking. I am currently getting involved with a company that will be marketing vacations to the Subic Bay area. Here are the questions i would like divers to answer if you would.
A. what percent of your dives are in batangas compared to subic
B. what is the major determining factor
c. what factors can be used to get more divers to visit subic
d. how do you rate subic

thanks
a. 98% batangas... 2% everywhere else... NEVER did subic but am familiar with place having done several projects there for a few clients and played airsoft in grande before it became a fullblown resort

b. like pao, accessibility, familiarity, variety, novelty... also auxillary stuff (e.g. night life, accomod options, getting there, etc.)... also COST... expensive = no good

c. options for budget divers, lure of different stuff from batangas, packages that are competitive with anilao rates

d. haven't been back in about 5 years, but it's ok, not the most exciting of places (could have improved since then)... far from manila but at least roads are good 100% of the way (or used to at least)

hope this helps... my 2 cents

Jag

I've been to Subic twice in the past year. In response to some of the comments from Jag... While the diving costs more, the accomodations at Subic (especially Barrio Barretto/ Baloy Beach) are pretty cheap for PI standards. The beach is actually somewhat nice so could be added factor if bringing non diving family. Personally, Subic is a great alternative if you want a change from reefs and wanted to check out some great wrecks which are mostly in recreational depths. But the viz is poor and the reefs nearly non existant. Couple weeks ago, our boat was taking back fresh coral that some of the locals had pulled out to sell to tourists... :shocked: we were putting them on top of the wrecks where hopefully they will grow back... Talking to the dive shop, seems this is a frequent occurrence...

BTW, I didn't get to try it but I believe they offer a dive and photo session with the false killer whales at that Aquarium.

If Fedex is really going to pull out of Subic as rumored, I think the locals really need to ramp up the diving/ recreational stuff for Manila weekenders... Personally, I'm not against it, but maybe they should consider offering "local" dive rates or at least promotions to filipinos.

edit: hurry up before the koreans take over subic... :wink: :D

Sir Chas:
I found the boats and support lacking.

Really? I have found the complete opposite. For me Subic is almost exploration due to the lack of support. There is no decent pumping station and the boats are not as comfortable or as well maintained as typical diving bankas.

I would imagine you have to offer a clean well maintained dive shop on the base that pumps nitrox with the option to pump trimix. I needs to be set up for recreational and tech divers alike and some clean cheap accomadations on the base to go with it would be awesome. I personally think Barro B is not too cool - too many fat old men drinking beer for breakfast with unaged girls :( I am not saying that is necessarily a bad thing but its in your face and not really a family atomosphere

Graham

pakman:
If Fedex is really going to pull out of Subic as rumored, I think the locals really need to ramp up the diving/ recreational stuff for Manila weekenders... Personally, I'm not against it, but maybe they should consider offering "local" dive rates or at least promotions to filipinos.

yup, diving could be a major tourism boost considering the general ease of access to wrecks there.

moose_hk:
I personally think Barro B is not too cool - too many fat old men drinking beer for breakfast with unaged girls :( I am not saying that is necessarily a bad thing but its in your face and not really a family atomosphere

Graham

Hey I resemble that remark... j/k

Actually on our first trip to barrio Barretto, we felt the same way... I think we were the only guys there under 40 and without a young local gal attached to our arm... But when I was there for easter weekend earlier this month, the beach was more of a family atmosphere especially with the locals. Actually saw less of the fat old westerner's with young local girls attached. Instead, there were more old western guys with their filipina wives and kids and local filipino families. But that might have just been due to the holiday long weekend. But did notice there are more "girlie" bars lately on the road around Mango's restaurant/ hotel.

a. 50-50
b. wrecks (rec/tek), nightlife, olongapo side trip
c. ridiculously cheap rates with freebies (free drinks on boat and after a dive, free massage a plus) :)
d. ideal place for those who havent seen a wreck

oh and just ask 'wanna see an old spanish wreck filled with lobsters and maybe a free dolphin show when we surface?!'

:)

Amazing the different strokes for different fokes. I travel all over Asia and Subic Bay is my favorite place to visit. I try to make it there every chance I get. For what I have seen around the Philippines the quality of the dive shops and that are average. I am in South P.I right now wish I could make it up there this trip. Absolutely love wrecks.

andibk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom