videos all red using red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubabob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i just got back from jamaica and all my videos are all red when using the red filter. am i suppose change setting when using the filter ?

i just got back from jamaica and all my videos are all red when using the red filter. am i suppose change setting when using the filter ?

I used a gopro 3+ on two dive trips using a gopro brand red dive filter (15 to 70ft) with great results. Towards the end of our last trip (Roatan) I lost the gopro brand filter. I found a cheap red filter (xcsource LF579) on the island that fit my gopro 3+. It appeared to be a much deeper red filter than my gopro brand filter but I didn't think much of it at the time. My one and only dive with the filter produced a video that was deep red (probably similar to yours). I plan on purchasing another gropro brand red filter.

The red filter is needed to counteract blueshift which depends on conditions and lighting. How deep were you?

In post processing (editing) you can now remove (somewhat) the unnecessary red filter from your clips.

I used a gopro 3+ on two dive trips using a gopro brand red dive filter (15 to 70ft) with great results. Towards the end of our last trip (Roatan) I lost the gopro brand filter. I found a cheap red filter (xcsource LF579) on the island that fit my gopro 3+. It appeared to be a much deeper red filter than my gopro brand filter but I didn't think much of it at the time. My one and only dive with the filter produced a video that was deep red (probably similar to yours). I plan on purchasing another gropro brand red filter.
I had a cheap Red Filter as well that I found online. another diver had the same one and he said his Videos were not all red. I have the Hero 4 Silver. I was in 40' to 80' of water. I compared my cheap filter to a gopro filter and the seemed to be the same red color.

The red filter is needed to counteract blueshift which depends on conditions and lighting. How deep were you?

In post processing (editing) you can now remove (somewhat) the unnecessary red filter from your clips.
northernone I was in 40' to 80' of water. Water Vis wasn't that great due to a storm the week before. I had a cheap filter I found online not a gopro one. but another diver had the same one as me and he said his Videos were not all red. Hopefully i can edit the color to save the video. First time using a filter and wasn't sure if i had to change any settings while using a filter ??

If you're in shallow water or using video lights you will have a red tint to your video. Make sure you don't flip the filter down until the bright Sun rays fade or when you aren't using lights.

My usual buddy bought one of those cheap Go-Pro red filters. It was way too red. I compared that cheap red filter with my Intova original red filter and the reddish of the cheap Go Pro filter is remarkable.
We used that cheap red filter in his Go Pro and ruined all the videos and photos taken during that dive.
G0052500_1424546040002_high.JPG

As it`s all been said...
DON`T use any of those cheap filters out there. You most likely won`t get any good results out of them. I`ve seen some that work but that`s a gamble. Just stay away from them.
DON`T use lights while filming while the filter is on.
BE at appropriate depth for the filter to work it`s magic.

Which housing do you have? If you have the standard housing without the screws around the faceplate that is rated to 130' I may have a gopro brand filter that will fit it. It was shipped wrong to me by mistake and won't fit the dive housing (160').

Which housing do you have? If you have the standard housing without the screws around the faceplate that is rated to 130' I may have a gopro brand filter that will fit it. It was shipped wrong to me by mistake and won't fit the dive housing (160').
I have the Dive Housing with the Screws ( Actually have Both but use the Dive Housing for Diving and the Standard housing in the Pool with the Grandkids or other wet Conditions ) Thanks anyways RayfromTX !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom