Video: Three Sisters kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool video. It was like a night dive out near hitw that day.

I looked for a flash from your can lights on my video from that day out there but I didn't see anything.

Kudos on the kick distance, looks like around ~0.6-0.7miles round trip

-Erik

Ben, I was definitely laughing at the close-up of "lone metridium". I crack up every time I see it.

Love your videos Kenn! Great to see another one!

Out of curiosity do you use a Flip HD for all your video? Or do you have something else you alternate with?

Thanks! Yep, I use the Flip HD for all my vids; I used to shoot with an old Sony P&S digicam but haven't used that in maybe a year or so.

We will be with NCD at Lake Berryessa doing a cleanup dive this weekend.

Awesome, big kudos for you guys. Thankfully, Monterey/Carmel doesn't get too much man-made debris outside of the stray plastic bag/wrapper here and there, but then again, it's not an outlet-less lake. I find it very sad that people feel it's acceptable to chug their forehead-crushed beer cans into the water; I suspect they wouldn't be so blatant about littering if it was on land.

But yesterday was quite a bit better than last you were out.

Thanks for the conditions report Kathy! Hope it keeps up for the weekend :)

Kudos on the kick distance, looks like around ~0.6-0.7miles round trip

Lol, I just realized that means our mean travel speed was slower than 0.6 mph. When you think of it that way, it's funny that some consider scuba a "sport" :)

Ben, I was definitely laughing at the close-up of "lone metridium". I crack up every time I see it.

One of these days, it's going to fall off, and then what are we going to do for navigation? I'm going to add this to my right pocket: Amazon.com: Aqua Stick Putty for Marine Reefs - Red - 2 oz.: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the video, Kenn. Makes me want to go out and practice my frog kick, you guys look so graceful and beautiful!

One of these days, it's going to fall off, and then what are we going to do for navigation? I'm going to add this to my right pocket: Amazon.com: Aqua Stick Putty for Marine Reefs - Red - 2 oz.: Kitchen & Dining

That brings up a very good point... what do we call it then? "The landmark formally know as the Lone Metridium"? Middle rock? I wonder if we can transplant a Met from Q-tip to LM?

Speaking of clean up last long dive I did to Beto's/Hole in the Wall/Middle Reef I counted 5 tires... there are 2 that I usually take note of on the way to/back from Betos... I guess we could suggest another tire rodeo for a BAUE project. It would be pretty neat to do some lift bag work from 100 :wink:

Thanks! Yep, I use the Flip HD for all my vids; I used to shoot with an old Sony P&S digicam but haven't used that in maybe a year or so.

Thats pretty awesome. I was thinking about investing in something a bit more expensive for UW video but that flipHD takes pretty good video for being such a small unit!

I think I'll have to rethink my future purchase of a video camera! Replacing a $150 flipHD versus a $500 G11 is a big difference in a flood.

Is it just the flipHD with ikelite housing or do you have a light attached to that?

Speaking of clean up last long dive I did to Beto's/Hole in the Wall/Middle Reef I counted 5 tires... there are 2 that I usually take note of on the way to/back from Betos... I guess we could suggest another tire rodeo for a BAUE project. It would be pretty neat to do some lift bag work from 100 :wink:

Huh, I was only aware of two as well (and I usually only run into the one - the "hey, you just overshot HitW when returning from Beto's tire). Are they all in the same general area?

I think I'll have to rethink my future purchase of a video camera! Replacing a $150 flipHD versus a $500 G11 is a big difference in a flood.

That was my thought as well.

Is it just the flipHD with ikelite housing or do you have a light attached to that?

The achilles' heel of the Flip is the ~44mm lens. Put that under water and it's WAY too narrow for wide angle, and the 3ft focusing distance makes it unsuitable for macro work as well. That means you'll need an accessory lens to go with the housing (I use a W-20/UWL-100 type wet lens for wide angle), which can be another $200-300.

Thanks for the dive! Even though a long kick, it was a lot of fun. We should do it again, and we'll stay a little longer next time.

Let me process my videos too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom