Video: Spearfishing & Endangered Sawfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Scuba off Jupiter Florida yesterday. I've only seen a few of these guys, to see two on one dive is pretty unusual.

I was hesitant to get too close, since I know their bills make them dangerous if provoked.

We had pizza for dinner last night....:shakehead::shakehead:: :(:(:(:(:(:(

[video=youtube_share;wlyNSTYTMlg]http://youtu.be/wlyNSTYTMlg?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Scuba off Jupiter Florida yesterday. I've only seen a few of these guys, to see two on one dive is pretty unusual.

I was hesitant to get too close, since I know their bills make them dangerous if provoked.

[video=youtube_share;wlyNSTYTMlg]http://youtu.be/wlyNSTYTMlg?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Sorry to hear there was no fish dinner. But damn, two sawfish in one day? Diving Jupiter's like a box o' chocolates ... you never know what you're gonna get! :cool2:

My boss takes a lot of "mental health days" fishing Florida Bay; he's had quite a few sightings (saw one clip where he had three visible from the surface at once). Still rare to see them out on the reef, especially this far up the coast.

Wow Dumpster! Thanks for sharing!

Very cool sighting. Just a couple of weeks early from last year's January 9-11, 2014 when a dozen where spotted just off the main Jupiter reef. Still on my bucket list to see also!! Thanks for the video!!

Last edited:
Very cool sighting. Just a couple of weeks early from last year's January 9-11, 2014 when a dozen where spotted just off the main Jupiter reef. Still on my bucket list to see also!! Thanks for the video!!

I can't compete with Chip... He came up from the next dive and said he saw 5 of them in one spot! (but didn't have a GoPro).

You bastids in SF have all the cool stuff! :cool2: I keep threatening to shut my business down for a couple weeks and head down to dive. I am drying out!

Great find and cool video Jim.

You bastids in SF have all the cool stuff! :cool2: I keep threatening to shut my business down for a couple weeks and head down to dive. I am drying out!

Great find and cool video Jim.

thanks, we did have a very good run of good weather and conditions...

@ 1:16 my favorite... If only we could talk underwater without an EBA haha.

I believe REEF has asked divers to report sightings.

I contacted FWC Sawfish hotline and reported the sightings. It is strange that they seemed to have omitted divers from the list of people who they expect to turn in a report. I guess diving with one is pretty rare.

Report Sawfish Sightings for Science!

Very little is known about this spectacular fish, so scientists at FWC's Fish and Wildlife Research Institute initiated a research program to learn more.
20080401_155402_28090.jpg

Credit: Illustration by Sarah Erickson
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)​
Smalltooth sawfish, Pristis pectinata, are unique fish that have a long, hedge trimmer-like "saw" extending out from their heads. Although they swim like sharks, they are more closely related to stingrays because they have gill slits under their bodies rather than on the sides of their bodies. Sawfish are born at about 2-feet long and can grow up to 18-feet.

Historically, sawfish were a common sight off Florida's coastline. However, they have become less common during the last century because they were unintentionally overfished. Their long saws, referred to scientifically as "rostrums" or "rostra", were easily entangled in any kind of fishing gear. Sawfish rostrums have also been popular trophy items. Since these fish produce few young, it has been a challenge for their population to recover after being depleted. As a result, sawfish have been protected in Florida since 1992 and the smalltooth sawfish is currently listed as endangered under the United States Endangered Species Act. They should be released unharmed if accidentally caught while fishing for other species. It is important to note that sawfish rostrums should never be removed.

Very little is known about this spectacular fish, so scientists at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's (FWC) Fish and Wildlife Research Institute (FWRI) initiated a research program to learn more. They are asking for help from the public via the Sawfish Survey.
This statewide survey provides a means for anglers, boaters, and beach-goers to help biologists learn more about the areas in which sawfish are sighted. If you catch a sawfish while fishing for other species or happen to see one while you are near the water, please contact us.

To report a sawfish sighting:

-E-mail: Sawfish@MyFWC.com

-Telephone: 941-255-7403

To file a report of a sawfish sighting or encounter, please include the date and time of the encounter, the location, the estimated length of each sawfish, the water depth, and any other relevant details.

Thank you for sharing your information with us and supporting our research efforts!
Important Contact Numbers

---------- Post added January 5th, 2015 at 07:06 PM ----------

You may not be surprised to hear that when I called the nice lady at FWC, I explained that the encounter occurred during a spearfishing trip and that the first one was pretty big. About half way through the interview (after I had provided my name and contact info) while she was busy recording my responses to her various questions, I interjected some unsolicited details.

I explained that it had a large bill and was very strong and it was really tough to get it to the boat so we could cut the bill off… She was silent for an uncomfortably long time and then blurted out: "you can't take those fish, they are 'endangered'". I quickly explained (before she could say much else) that she was wrong and that the fish WAS "dangerous"; but you definitely CAN take those fish (if you use the proper spearguns and gear).

I gave her a little more time to process what the ignorant redneck was telling her, before I explained that I was just kidding and that we only took a little video of the fish. I got a good laugh out of it, and was gonna ask her when “Manatee Season” opens up, but I got the feeling she wasn't getting my humor.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom