Video: South Monastery (Saturday, 8/7/10)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice video Kenn,

Conditions looked pretty nice.

About the chicken bones... I remember seeing a recently deceased porpoise while diving south monastery last fall.. it scared my dive partner a little when he came upon it as I recall. Cool to see porpoises alive and playing, but it's sorta creepy seeing a dead one out diving. Its probably not (things seem to turn over pretty fast in the ocean) but maybe those are it's bones.

Erik

Bravo... thanks again for bringing us along....

If you collect a stamp from each, can you send away for an action figure? :D

Yes... but which one would he get first?
:D

Probably easier to launch and definitely easier to beach an inflatable boat, then to come out with doubles and a scooter.

Ah, thanks for the info Peter :) Now that you mention it, there were a couple of kayak divers launching at Monastery on Saturday, and they really did make it look easy to get in and out of the surf.

I remember seeing a recently deceased porpoise while diving south monastery last fall.. it scared my dive partner a little when he came upon it as I recall. Cool to see porpoises alive and playing, but it's sorta creepy seeing a dead one out diving. Its probably not (things seem to turn over pretty fast in the ocean) but maybe those are it's bones.

Hmm, I wish I knew were we were exactly when I saw it (it was on the way in, maybe 35ft depth?). I have no idea how long bones stay around, but these were pretty small (the long "rib"-like bone was maybe 5-6 inches long), strewn about, and I think they were moving in the surge. My thought was some unlucky juvenile seal or sea lion, but I guess we'll never know unless some bone expert jumps in :)

If you collect a stamp from each, can you send away for an action figure? :D

I want the Oreo/Pepper ones first.

Mine of course. My action figure has the kung-fu grip.

That makes no sense. Rob's kung fu is way stronger.

Great video, Kenn. I love the shots up at the kelp (and of course the bunny).

I think the key to diving doubles at Monastery is to leave the doubles at home unless the dive really calls for it. I have done a few dives in doubles there, but you can get a lot of dive out of a single tank there. Or at least I can, because I like the shallows there quite a bit.

Allison

:sharkattack:
Nice video Kenn,

Conditions looked pretty nice.

About the chicken bones... I remember seeing a recently deceased porpoise while diving south monastery last fall.. it scared my dive partner a little when he came upon it as I recall. Cool to see porpoises alive and playing, but it's sorta creepy seeing a dead one out diving. Its probably not (things seem to turn over pretty fast in the ocean) but maybe those are it's bones.

Erik

That makes no sense. Rob's kung fu is way stronger.

They can both have great kung fu. It's exactly like Rush Hour, but with Rob not coming from Hong Kong.

I think the key to diving doubles at Monastery is to leave the doubles at home unless the dive really calls for it. I have done a few dives in doubles there, but you can get a lot of dive out of a single tank there. Or at least I can, because I like the shallows there quite a bit.

I'm with you there. If the plan was set to dive Monastery (we just thought we'd show up and check out a few different places) and one of my single tanks wasn't dropped off for fills, I probably would have opted for 2 single-tank dives instead.

Another fantastic video! The kelp canopy shots were very cool. Thanks for sharing with us.

Personally, I'd take the Allison action figure. It's not whose kung fu is stronger, that's all debatable. What's not is whose undergarment smells the least offensive.

My one and only Monastery dive was with Kevin. If you dive with Kevin at Monastery, you may get quite an opportunity to enjoy the shallows . . . :)

Seriously, Kevin is on my top three list of people in the world to dive with. The combination of what Claudette and Ken would call "mad skills" and a delicious sense of humor, both on land and underwater, is pretty irresistible.

(As I'm finishing up day 3 of my Full Cave class, and have been given a primary light failure, and I've deployed my backup and I'm signaling increasingly wildly to tell Kevin, "Hey, team down one light, guy!", he is largely ignoring me and pointing out a couple of (admittedly very cool) fossils in the cave floor. Afterward, I said, "I was trying to tell you about a failure!" And he looked at me and said, "I didn't care if you were on a backup light -- you had that handled. But I wanted you to see the shells!")

Back
Top Bottom