Video: South Monastery (Saturday, 8/7/10)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saturday was NCUPS, and it seemed like every diver we ran into had an impressive photo rig and was in it to win it. I was just happy to get to be in the water more than once this month, and to finally get to dive with Kevin--we had plans to get a dive in earlier in the year, but conditions were exactly the opposite of what they are now, and we ended up calling the diving the night before.

With swells pinned down to 3-5 all week, we had to check out Monastery (not having Lobos reservations due to the whole rescheduled ramp refinishing project helped too), and after confirming that it looked as good as we had hoped, started the arduous gear schlep.

We were treated to blue water, and as we found some depth, even more viz along with freedom from surge. Kevin led us along and into the kelp line to the west, and we poked around series after series of boulder skyscrapers and angular, jutting rock. Seems it was a big crab day, with some pretty gnarly specimens mugging for all those photo competition shots out there.

It was a gorgeous day, and the kelp cover was really thick, playing all sorts of night/day tricks on you, even though the sky was overcast ahead. At one point, we flipped over at 50ft and could easily see individual kelp fronds on the surface. Beautiful.

We timed the exit well and escaped a couple of bigger sets, and rewarded ourselves with RG Burger for lunch.

[youtubehq]md62vEfjeJo[/youtubehq]

PS - at long last, this completes my Team Kitty trifecta, which has been on my to-do list for quite a while.

Another nice video Ken. I'm tempted to try Monastary again, though then I remember that the place scares the $h!t out of me so I'll enjoy everyone else' videos instead.

Another nice video Ken. I'm tempted to try Monastary again, though then I remember that the place scares the $h!t out of me so I'll enjoy everyone else' videos instead.

Thanks Matt! I agree 100%, Monastery and CRB do get my heart rate up, especially right before entry and exit. I only dive these sites on the absolute calmest of days.

I'm still trying to find a way to make it easier. Raft, maybe?
These guys were hard core and did it in doubles. Much respect :)

I dunno how easy boat launches would be at Monastery if it's too hard to walk/crawl out; my gut reaction is that it might be worse.

I think the best bet is really to watch the wave sets closely, and try to see if there's an area that tends to be more sheltered than others. Typically, for S. Monastery, the western edge curving around the kelp tends to be much calmer than the middle of the beach:

jz9o4.jpg

I agree that is the best entry point, that photo sure does make it look pretty, doesn't it?

Thanks for the beautiful video Kenn ;-).

One of these very calm days I'd like to explore Monastery. But I'm with Matt in that I'm still hesitant... Especially in doubles.

It's kinda fun to drive by Monastery on the way to Lobos -- look out at the inviting glassy flat surface or wild crashing death waves and know there is still something so beautiful left to be discovered at some later date.

I'm not in any rush :).

PS - at long last, this completes my Team Kitty trifecta, which has been on my to-do list for quite a while.

If you collect a stamp from each, can you send away for an action figure? :D

I love Monastery. And your bunny. That video's amazing, I'm showing it to my friends to convince them to dive.

I dunno how easy boat launches would be at Monastery if it's too hard to walk/crawl out; my gut reaction is that it might be worse.
Probably easier to launch and definitely easier to beach an inflatable boat, then to come out with doubles and a scooter. Trust me on that one! I find CRM no harder than say Fort Ross. Maybe I have just been lucky at CRM?

We kayak dove from Monastery and it was really easy. The kayak is streamlined and punches through the surf. When returning to the beach you just sit outside the breakers until it is calmer then power in, landing on the beach. Of course you could get flipped, but as long as you clear the kayak, you are not encumbered by dive gear, and quit buoyant. Your kayak will be waiting for you on the beach.

Thanks for sharing the video Kenn :) I am dreaming of diving and living through the reports lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom