Video remote control housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjfox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wondering if any one has tried to waterproof a remote control to use with a DIY video housing with no controls. I was going to try it with a clear dry sack, and fill it with silicone grease or something else to negate the pressure. Has this been done before?

Thought about mounting the remote inside your housing and using Ikelite controls to push the buttons? (assuming you have a clear backplate). Camera Control Parts

I did that with another project, I dismantled another remote and wired reed switches to the buttons, and mounted it inside an old aquatica housing with magnetic controls, and it works great. As with all DIY stuff, I was thinking about bigger, better, cooler, probably won't work, LOL.

Rather than destroy a perfectly good remote, I've used a PIC microcontroller before to record the button sequences that I care about from a remote (start/stop, zoom, etc) and store them in memory. Then it's a very simple matter of playing them back for the camera at the appropriate time. If you're good with surface mount, you can make very small boards less than one inch square that will do everything you need - reed switches, debounce, etc. If you use through hole parts, you can still get them very small. Power with a button cell, or steal power from the camera - if you write the code correctly, the button cell will last for years, as the power consumption is so low on the low end PICs. Cost will be well under $5, other than the housing, but you can fit it into ANY camcorder housing's leftover space.

No complicated processing needed - just record and playback the IR code verbatim.

1. Hi everyone! I'm from Russia so sorry for my English :)
2. I did an IR remote control in the old project for Canon mvx250i camcorder. It was based on IR control that supplied with camcorder. On my home page you can see photos of the solutions (but the Russian :( ) if you're interested, I can tell more

WBR, Alexey

Please keep us posted on your progress! I'm trying to get time to start a new project (U/W 3-D Video) and would like to use a remote to ensure both cameras operate in sync. I was hoping some adaptation for waterproof remote would work.

If you could seal the remote's workings entirely, I wonder how deep you could go before the pressure pushed the buttons in enough to activate them. Guess that'll be experiment #1.

Good Luck!
--Jon

Back
Top Bottom