Video or Photo system need help/opinions on deciding!

Camera type?

• DSLR

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Camcorder

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • DSLR w/HD video

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do not know if you are a videographer or a photographer how would we know? Before you spend five to eight thousand plus dollars on a "professional grade" system, better figure it out for yourself.

Video is boring and puts me to sleep. I give it about five to seven seconds before moving on. A photo captures a moment which I find much more fascinating, video, meh.

N

Video is more dynamic photos are static.
Taking pictures and video is also different: some subjects make a good picture but a boring video. Instead some less interesting subjects may engage in interesting behaviors worth filming.
When it comes to post processing video takes much longer than stills by a great deal however in capture it is generally easier and more rewarding.
Before you put any money into anything you have to work out yourself what is that you like to do and what your skills are.
For what concerns taking video with DSLR the quality is great however in video you generally like the flexibility of switching between close up and wide down to macro. Also take into account that taking video with a DSLR does create challenges in terms of focus and depth of field and really there is not a great benefit shooting video in manual, in most cases aperture priority is all you need
I am having good results with a compact camera Sony Rx100 have a look by yourself this is an option you are not considering but you should...

[youtubehq]vyegzx70EcU[/youtubehq]

This video is exactly what I am looking to do! I'm really leaning towards the video stuff because thats what I enjoy the most and have the most experience with but I find myself drawn to the photos as well because of the simplicity and ability to share and hang them on the wall! but I'm really thinking video is the way to go for me! So video cameras any thoughts i've been looking into the canon cameras alot mainly the XA10.

I think a dedicated video camera will serve you better than using a DSLR for video. The larger housing makes it much easier to hold the camera still. Any camera movement is magnified on a video monitor. Mike Meagher, who shoots mostly in the PNW has some excellent videos to check out and get some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfeeldiver/videos?flow=grid&view=0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom