Video of the week Massive loggerhead turtle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Loggerhead that you see has been in the area for years....many. We named him Edmundo, he is old and cranky and probably suffering from Alzheimers.... You will see him in Cedral, mainly closer to the wall, but he has ended up at begining of Santa Rosa.

I checked my dive log and in 2009 we saw our first and only loggerhead, and the dive was Cedral to Santa Rosa, so that sure sounds right. Sharky60 will remember this, too. He has a few good photos of this guy.

He and I shared a reef on the 7th. HE IS HUGE!!!!! Edmundo April 7 2014.jpg

I've seen "Edmundo", on Cedral for the past 2 years. Does anyone know for sure if it's a male?

This is one of the shots I got of him/her sleeping beside a coral head on Cedral last Spring...
19161-CedralPass-Loggerhead.jpg

Here ya' go B.D., This is a pic of the first Loggerhead I saw on Coz as well. It was in 2009 on a dive with Jose from Blue Angel, diving the wall between Cedral and Santa Rosa...
...it's still on of my favorite pics. All the divers are "up reef", if you will, and are facing backwards, into the current, to get as long a look at this magnificent creature that just swamp past them...
392-CedralRosa-LHTurtle1.jpg
I'm not sure if it's the same turtle or not, if so, it's been hanging around for at least 7 years now.

I'm not sure if it's the same turtle or not, if so, it's been hanging around for at least 7 years now.

--
This is what I look for to identify that it is the same turtle. Most of the photos I've see have this same grouping of barnacles on the crease of its shell. It looks like the same pattern in gerbow's original post and video.

Check for this grouping the next time you see it and you will know if it is the same one. That way we can track it over time.

lh-box.jpg

Yes I am using the URPRO SWCY 55mm filter from snake river prototyping along with the FLIP 3.1 system from Bacscatter and the 55 mm threaded flip inserts. I also use lights. 2x Sola 2000's three light settings depending on how close you are to your subject 500 lumen, 1200 lumen, 2000 lumen.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 07:45 PM ----------

More footage of "Edmundo" saw him again the very next day on Cedral platform starts around the 50 sec mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbARq-JAUU&list=UUrZcO4f_ZXM5VShJQ3JlItg

Great video, what wall is that

I saw this huge turtle aug 2013 on tormentos, there was a group of more than 10 divers at our safety stop and this turtle swam right thru the middle of us flapping the whole time. I have a couple of photos I will try to upload

I've seen "Edmundo", on Cedral for the past 2 years. Does anyone know for sure if it's a male?

This is one of the shots I got of him/her sleeping beside a coral head on Cedral last Spring...
View attachment 181507

Here ya' go B.D., This is a pic of the first Loggerhead I saw on Coz as well. It was in 2009 on a dive with Jose from Blue Angel, diving the wall between Cedral and Santa Rosa...
...it's still on of my favorite pics. All the divers are "up reef", if you will, and are facing backwards, into the current, to get as long a look at this magnificent creature that just swamp past them...
View attachment 181513

The nearest divers to your lens are Janice and me. That's one dive I won't forget. A bit of current but we got within a few feet of him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom