Video: Nettle madness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got stung last year. Never saw it coming. We were on a night dive returning to the BW beach and I had my light pointed down watching the bottom scootering along. Next thing I know OWWWEEEE!!! Got me on my upper lip. Since we were in less than 15 feet of water I called the dive. At that point I wanted to be at the surface to make sure I wasn't wrapped up in a tentacle. It hurt all the way into the next day. I am not a wimp really, but the lips are one of the most sensitive places on the human body.

I was stung at the break water on my cheek and it felt like electrical current on my face. I managed not to call the dive but by the end of the dive I had a grill mark across my cheek.

I would have been severely stung on my lips, but because of the lip shield on my regulator I evaded such an attack.

The lip shield has to be one of my best investments in scuba diving at only $15 dollars it not only keeps my lips from freezing but also from anything foreign making contact.

No special tools to put on and if you want it off, it pulls right off with a simple yank in the water if needed.

Here is a pic:

2qas9de.jpg

Looks to me like Mike's pacifier is more of a hazard. What if it slips right as you are trying to perform a donation?

I think an FFM is the way to go instead :eyebrow:

Peter,

It passed both my DIR classes so :mooner:.... In fact my dive buddies never complained because it saved them from a swarm of nettles that attacked us during our min deco stops...

It was amazing you should have seen my dive buddies faces as they never got stung on the lips...

They were so happy with my lip shield that they couldn't wait to install one on their regulator...

So for X-mas I am going to get one for you Peter, because you are a sissy and can't take the pain on the lips... :D

Just kidden, lip shield is just for me... :kiss2: No kissing on this thread... sorry for High Jack Ken...

Okay back to Ken's awesome video on the nettles....

MG

They let that pass? I wouldn't have expected that. Heck he nailed me on my bungee backup being slipped over not ziptied, yet he couldn't pull it off without a few hefty tugs. So you were doing air shares drills during a nettle invasion?

Pacifiergurl, you are silly. A FFM user doesn't donate their mask, they donate the third teamates long hose right from their mouth without warning. Sheesh what is it with these people not understanding, it is each person for themselves when face to face in a sea nettle battle. The one with the FFM always wins though.

The nettles were definitely thick on Saturday. I got one direct sting on the upper lip during our descent on our first dive, which was bad enough, but then after I got back on the boat I stupidly wiped my face with my gloved hand. A hand that had been steadily beating jellies away from my face for the full safety stop and which was nearly brown with jelly goo. I thought my bottom lip would explode! Sheesh!

Carol, how long did it take for the swelling to go down after that misadventure?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom