Video Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grunzster:
OK I got some more info from a few different sources including one guy who does custom housings and mods.

They all say that Halogen is better than HID for video, because of the color temp of the light.

Is this true. If so it's a plus in 1 sense...Halogen is cheaper than HID...BUT Halogen has much worse burn times than HID. Most that I've looked at burn for only about 40 minutes.

From the Light & Motion Website.....The new Sunray-S Mini Pro lights utilize High Intensity Discharge (HID) light heads that produce a substantially brighter and whiter light than a conventional halogen head.

So whats the deal. I have the Sunray-Elite Halogen and its a pain recharging the batteries after nearly every dive. I'd much prefer to be charging D batteries for my LC or, when I need a quick turnaround -- use alkalines which I can normally get 3 or so hours out of -- is much much easier....and even with the extra costs of buying the extra mounting hardware, still is cheaper than the Sunrat-S Mini Pro.

grunzster:
OK I got some more info from a few different sources including one guy who does custom housings and mods.

They all say that Halogen is better than HID for video, because of the color temp of the light.

Is this true. If so it's a plus in 1 sense...Halogen is cheaper than HID...BUT Halogen has much worse burn times than HID. Most that I've looked at burn for only about 40 minutes.
BS alert, HID is better colour than halogen anyday. I use one light but it is the kowalski Xenon (similar to HID) this has a 100Degree reflector so i get good spread of light (not sure what the others provide) This gives great colour for day dives and is a bit wild for night dives, huge spread of light so no one else enjoys the dive.

The xenon is a single battery lamp assmebly so it is fricken heavy on arms which are UL, they may be expensive but very good with the heavy stuff.

Albion:
BS alert, HID is better colour than halogen anyday. I use one light but it is the kowalski Xenon (similar to HID) this has a 100Degree reflector so i get good spread of light (not sure what the others provide) This gives great colour for day dives and is a bit wild for night dives, huge spread of light so no one else enjoys the dive.

The xenon is a single battery lamp assmebly so it is fricken heavy on arms which are UL, they may be expensive but very good with the heavy stuff.

BS ALERT GOOD CALL

The light from any light fixture is measured on the calvin scale. HMI,HID,Xenon are daylight balanced usually 5000 degrees to 6200. Tungston is 3200 degrees, if you look at the two above or underwater the tungston is warm or orange, halogen is cooler or whiter but still looks yellow on digital vid compared to daylight balanced heads. I have the double battery pods from light and motion which gives me 90 min on each of 2 lights. For my money HID is the way to go. You should be able to get a blue filters at any prof. photo shop that will change tungston to HID,HMI.(go in front of lights) They come in 1/8,3200 to 3600, 1/4,3200 to 4200, half, 3200 to 4800 and full, to full daylight.( these #s are off the top of my head but I think are within a couple 100 degrees). The shop can colour temp your light fixture and you can decide on what filter from there.If you have the tungston or halogen and want to go daylight without buying new stuff.

scubatwinned:
BS ALERT GOOD CALL

halogen is cooler or whiter but still looks yellow on digital vid compared to daylight balanced heads.

I agree, HID does have a whiter look than halogen, but I don't find halogen "extremely" yellow. IMHO, a "slight" yellow look is more descriptive. I quess it depends on how critical your eye is and how deep your pockets are. HID is typically 2x or more expensive than halogen. Call me cheap, I like my $500 halogen video light.

www.ronrosa.com/octopus.wmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom