Video Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ready to purchase video lighting, and a bit overwhelmed by the brand choices and considerations. I'm using a new GoPro and this is my first venture into underwater video, but I work in the video field and have some knowledge of this topic on land. Someday, I'll likely upgrade the GoPro to a "real" camera, but for now, loving it as a starting point.

I've figured out a few things already. I know a nice, flat field of illumination is important. Lights that have a softer falloff on the edges are better. The brighter they are, seemingly, the more expensive. Some are rechargeable and sealed, others use removable batteries. Initially, I'm going to buy a pair, and I'd like to put them on flex arms. I already have a tray.

One key consideration is, I'm heading to Utila in April, planning 3-5 dives a day. I won't have time to wait for recharging. The idea of removable, rechargeable batteries seems logical. I-Torch makes a 1300 lumen (Video Pro4) light that runs on a single lithium removeable battery, and it's comes with 2 of them. Am I missing something here? Should I consider rechargeable sealed lights given the need for quick turnaround?

So what brand? I've read good things about many...Sola, I-Torch, Nocturnal Lights. I'm sure there are others, and I'll bet they're all pretty good products. In terms of budget, I'm willing to spend up to $1500 out the door for the package. I'm a price shopper as well, so if you have favorite low-price leader, I'm all ears.

One final note. Most of my diving is in So. Cal., and a lot of it is local shore diving where viz is often limited....10' on some days, 20'+ on good days. Despite occasional trips to the tropics, I'll be using these mostly on weekends locally.

If you've used a particular product that you like, please share. If you can help enlighten me regarding other considerations in buying video lights, that would be helpful. I want to make a solid, enlightened (bad pun) decision, and buy a quality product that will last. Not trying to cheap out here, and also want to stay in the realm of my budget.

Thanks in advance for you input.
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom