video light for digital camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naimis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently built a canister light for special purpose photography and have started thinking about building a similar video light system. I have a Canon PowerShot G9 that I use for both stills and video, and my thought was to add a pair of white LED lights on arms on either side of the camera housing for doing video. I thought that the ideal situation would be to have two lights to avoid harsh shadows, and to avoid hot spots; and to have them use reflectors that give a wide beam, something close to the camera's viewing angle, to get a well-lit scene rather than a spot light on a small area.

What I don't know is what the viewing angle of my camera actually is. I seem to remember 70 degrees but haven't been able to confirm that, plus I suspect it's a function of zoom anyway. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that I'm completely missing something important, either.

Anyone have any advice to give this amateur photographer/videographer? :)

Back
Top Bottom