video light deal: Evolva Future Technology D02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now the question is whether or not to buy the evolvas. They're probably the best looking options in my price range... I'd appreciate any other info or video you have, @uncfnp
Here are a few more unedited video clips. You can see the difference the light make on near to far objects and two stills. one with the lights and one without...

Attachments

• GOPR3057.JPG
    GOPR3057.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 229
  • GOPR3058.JPG
    GOPR3058.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Here are a few more unedited video clips. You can see the difference the light make on near to far objects and two stills. one with the lights and one without...

Thanks! Looks like these lights are providing for you what I was hoping for out of mine. Are you using a tray with arms? If so, what kind?

I bought 2 of these and will be returning the Tovatec light. The throw was nice, but as other people said, there is a lot of wasted light at the perimeter and it I cant imagine how I'd mount a light that big to my tray.

Thanks for the video upload.. i just ordered two of these for my upcoming trip to Cuba... and this was the first video I found of these lights used for diving... Thanks ALOT! I'm feeling much better about my purchase now! I'll be using mine with a sony action cam set for 1080 @ 60 fps and with image stab on which narrows the video from 170 degrees to 120.. which should allow these lights to better fill the frame :) Can't wait!

So the color in this video looks great.... I have to ask you though.. How far away were you from Mr. Moray? I bought the same lights and was just setting them up for the right coverage angles for 120 deg shooting as opposed to 170

FYI, these lights are currently $37 on Amazon, available with Prime. That is with no battery or charger.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FD3QQBU/

I just ordered 2. I already have 26650 batteries and chargers.

A previous post said that the Orcatorch D810 is brighter. I am prepared to believe it, but it does seem surprising. The D810 has 1 x Cree XM-L2 LED emitter. Those are rated by Cree for a max output of approximately 1050 lumens.

This Evolva has 4 x Cree XP-G2 LED emitters. They are rated by Cree for a max output of 586 lumens. With having 4 of them, it at least OUGHT to be able to be about twice as bright as the D810. But, of course lenses and reflectors play a part and, more importantly, the electronics driving the LEDs. The electronics in the Evolva might be limiting the current it feeds to the LEDs in order to prolong battery life, at the expense of not being as bright as the light could be.

I have an Archon D11V video light that is 1 x XM-L (manufacturer claims 860 lumens) that I'll compare the Evolva lights to when I receive them. The Evolva lights combined cost only a little more than my Archon light cost me a year or two ago.

I noticed the same math... the LEDs on the evolva should allow it to produce over 2000 lumens.. but yeah maybe its the electronics ...

I have yet to order the larger batteries for mine I have only the 18650's.. curious to see if the larger battery makes any difference at.. it should just be longer run time.. but am curious to hear how it works for you.

I have 2 on the way also. Seemed like the best option for me for the price.

I forget where I read this now, but I saw a review somewhere that mentioned using 26650's was noticeably brighter.

I have 18650's and a charger so I got the lights only. I'm curious if anyone has both battery types to compare.

My lights come in next week and I have house guests next weekend so I can't try them until the 21st at the earliest if weather permits.

I ordered 2 lights and I have both kinds of batteries. Since the batteries are the same voltage, I don't see why they would produce different brightness, when fully charged. But, these lights probably have cheap electronics that results in steady gradual dimming. So, it would not surprise me if the light with a 26650 is brighter after they've both been on for a while.

I'll play with them and see.

I have 2 on the way also. Seemed like the best option for me for the price.

I forget where I read this now, but I saw a review somewhere that mentioned using 26650's was noticeably brighter.

I have 18650's and a charger so I got the lights only. I'm curious if anyone has both battery types to compare.

My lights come in next week and I have house guests next weekend so I can't try them until the 21st at the earliest if weather permits.

Yeah I read that somewhere too... about the battery difference... sounded strange.. but...................

Back
Top Bottom