Video - Jan 19 Point Lobos dive to Q-Tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday was the tail end of a week-long flat swell stretch in Monterey, so our hopes were high for great conditions, especially with big waves predicted to roll in for Mavericks Sunday (today).

A series of pre-dive shenanigans ended up with my scooter in one hand, and the entire prop assembly in the other. Huh. Well, I guess we're doing a traditional Team Bunny kick dive then (there was talk about getting towed around using our one good scoot).

Indeed, you could see clear to the bottom anywhere in the cove and at most of middle reef. We saw giant versions of just about everything. A huge fat lingcod maybe half a foot in cross section, enormous sheephead crabs, and schools of big mature blacks and blues.

A lot was happening on the surface too, with divers and kayakers everywhere, and BAUE out in full force collecting sea life to present at Underwater Parks Day.

[video=youtube;W7mCEFtPTEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7mCEFtPTEw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

My heart skipped a beat when I saw how close the float/camera came to smashing against the rocks. I don't think I'm ready for Jonathan's heave-the-scooter-from-the-parking-lot special move!

And man, it was COLD. The thermometer read 53F, but this is the first time my head hurt underwater from the cold.

And man, it was COLD. The thermometer read 53F, but this is the first time my head hurt underwater from the cold.
HUH? When we got to Mendo on Friday the dock was frozen, and my chart plotter read 43.2* in the Albion River. Our gauges read 48* in the open ocean for both dives. When it is cold and first descending I find I get a headache and push my helmet down over my head more in hopes of keeping warmer. 53* sounds tropical to me.

53* sounds tropical to me.

Normally, I can't tell the difference between 50-56. Sometimes, 50 feels warm and 56 feels cool. But I was on the tail end of recovering from a cold, and I think it had hit me more than I realized.

For the record, the coldest I've ever felt in Monterey is probably was during Fundies...all those extended in-water debriefs, brrr....

Back
Top Bottom