Video housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that I'm aware of. Most cameras are designed with the battery on the back. If you're considering a DIY housing, you can buy small monitors that could be mounted inside the housing to be seen through the back port. There's always a couple on eBay. Check out USVH housings for an example.

Is there a video camera that has an LCD screen on the back of the camera instead of flipping out the side. It would seem that this would allow the housing to be smaller.

Yes. JVC had one that was discontinued (I have one of the last ones available where I live). Very small, almost barrel shape with LCD screen on the back. Could use a 3" ID tube for a housing. GZ-MC500U, 3CCD, 5Mpixel still.

The other great thing about this camera is no tape - it uses a micro HD or flash card. I put a 4gig flash card in mine, so it has no moving parts except the zoom.

Unfortunately it was discontinued when I bought my housing, so I could not get a custom "all controls" housing. Instead I got a "no controls" housing which is a PITA, as was the mfg's customer support (or total lack thereof). I will not buy a housing from them again.

A couple of months ago I saw the same exact form factor from JVC in a new HD video camera. Can't recall the model #, but I hear that it's not 1080i HD but the 760i (lower res).

-S

Is there a video camera that has an LCD screen on the back of the camera instead of flipping out the side. It would seem that this would allow the housing to be smaller.

As they said, there is not one currently being made. You can, however, mount a cheap 2.5" LCD screen right behind your camcorder, thereby maintaining the narrow profile of the camcorder. But housings aren't generally made for this purpose, so finding a housing with that same narrow profile would be difficult. They do, however, make housings that already have an external monitor, but they are not cheap.

Thanks for the info. I won’t have any problem finding the right housing, as I am making it my self. I’m curious about adding the screen. Do they just plug into an existing camera?

I've got an Everio mc500 and the housing I made was great :wink:

Dive light

3ccd, memory cards and mpeg2 files ... the lack ofa remote is a very PITA (quoted :eyebrow:) ..... could be a JVC memory failure?

Back monitor and back start-stop button, quite simple to make a mechanical pushbutton.

Turtles are Here

I suppose you could find one on ebay ... but watch it's SD not High Def

Have you seen the Top Dawg housing. They have housing that have back monitors , and these can be bought separately , I think. Look at their website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom