Video: great viz at McAbee on Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else other than me, complaining about the cold water? I'm really baffled that I havent' fetl this cold front that most divers are mentioning?

We are talking about drysuit divers, saying they are cold, can anyone here take me to this cold front so I can take my gear to the test?

Thanks,

MG

Last edited:
MG:

Drysuit divers voicing their concerns over water temperature? Do my eyes deceive me? Hmm... I bought one to stop doing exactly that! If this occurs, I give up and will move back to the south pacific. Oh wait! During winter, you actually need a 7mm to dive over there as well.

Claude

I almost can't believe that video is real. Did my drysuit dives at Macabee that day and the viz was terrible. Instructor took us out to about 25 fsw before stopping for us to do our drills. Sure wish we had gone out a little further!

That vis looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the video.

I was at Coral Street on saturday and I could barely see my own hand in front of my face out to 20feet so we called the dive. Perhaps we should have went out a little farther as well.

Erik

I've seen it possible to break through whale snot at Anchor 4 on a Zodiac... I remember holding on to the line and literally using hand to hand on the anchor line in 1 foot of viz, only to be in ahhh at 50 feet looking down to the floor another 40 feet to complete a gorgeous 90 foot dive...

Then it was back up the anchor line at 50 feet leaving the beauty and being engulfed in the whale snot again, didn't want to lose grip of that anchor line....

MG

Thnx for the great video. I have a question. Why are you diving with 3 tanks?

Thnx for the great video. I have a question. Why are you diving with 3 tanks?

Three? Why dive two? :D We do have long term plans that benefit from practicing with a stage, but McAbee is a shallow, gentle stage dive. The main reason for multiple tanks is that we've found that we see a LOT more by being in the water for longer periods of time--we maximize our time in the "good areas" and minimize overhead like SI, beach trudges, gear change, long swims in and out and searching for structure. Some regions and environments (like LA) seem to favor larger single tanks, whereas Monterey is well suited for doubles.

But there's nothing we saw or traveled to on that dive that could not have been done on a single LP80, it's all a matter of whether you can find the area and how long you have to stay with the bottom time afforded by less gas.

Three? Why dive two? :D We do have long term plans that benefit from practicing with a stage, but McAbee is a shallow, gentle stage dive. The main reason for multiple tanks is that we've found that we see a LOT more by being in the water for longer periods of time--we maximize our time in the "good areas" and minimize overhead like SI, beach trudges, gear change, long swims in and out and searching for structure. Some regions and environments (like LA) seem to favor larger single tanks, whereas Monterey is well suited for doubles.

But there's nothing we saw or traveled to on that dive that could not have been done on a single LP80, it's all a matter of whether you can find the area and how long you have to stay with the bottom time afforded by less gas.

Thnx.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom