Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's being confused in the first statement and part of the problem with the analysis is that student knowledge of subject matter does not preclude them from being the best judge of teaching effectiveness. You can present every minor detail of gas physiology, deco techniques etc. But if it's not presented in an effective manner conductive to the student's learning it is ineffective. If an instructor has a high failure rate on student technical skills then guess what, it's probably not the students, but the instructor at fault. Also instructors have an inherent bias pro and con in the evaluation of other instructors. Go do a literature search and see for yourself. It's pretty rich and special to see some of the same people that defended convicted felon Peter Sotis ( and attempted supplier of rebreathers to Libyan terrorists) in the death of Rob Stewart, come on this thread and try to make a mountain out of a mole hill with this video. Shameful.

So I take it that you're going to continue to refuse to answer my direct question. It's hard to take your answers seriously if we don't know what type of experience you have. If you're a highly experienced technical diver, then let us know that and that in your classes it's been OK to kneel. It's really odd that you circumvent the question. Your experience doesn't have a bearing on all you post such as the quoted post. But you've made it clear your ok with what's in the video, so it would be helpful to know your experience. But I suspect you won't answer it.

The helium is key to a lower wob that does help reduce "making CO2.

That is well established

it's obvious from oldschoolto's comments that he's neither willing to do research or believe it if he does. Seems he's set in his ways and isn't open to updated ideas.
I remember when nitrox was technical gas and would kill you and then a few years later that helium is only safe for commercial divers. Wonder if oldschool still believes that too.

And here we go with the internet crap..

You think I don't know that the byproduct of a living person breathing is CO2 ??? Boy you must think I'm 4 years old..

I didn't say heluim didn't "help".. I said that the facts don't show that you'll not have to worry about a CO2 hit by just adding heluim...

So it a major violation to not have you have your buddy check your gas switch, But you do it in real word diving.. Little bit 2 faced you think...

I know nothing about anything, I'm just some old guy that's done more than 99.9% of the people in this world and some how lived through it all..

Oh yeah, I only got a AOW card so I can get tanks filled... 30years of Diving with no cards or training... But lots of learning in my 46yrs of diving..

Jim....

The two of you are kind of beating each other up over semantics (why change the style of the thread now?), but maybe consider this.

Helium definitely does reduce WOB, proportional to the FiHe%. However - and this is a hard thing to quantitatively compare in real time during a dive - I would guess that at the moderate depths we are talking about here, minimizing effort has a much bigger impact on limiting the development of hypercapnea than adding helium.

You think I don't know that the byproduct of a living person breathing is CO2 ??? Boy you must think I'm 4 years old..

I didn't say heluim didn't "help".. I said that the facts don't show that you'll not have to worry about a CO2 hit by just adding heluim...

So it a major violation to not have you have your buddy check your gas switch, But you do it in real word diving.. Little bit 2 faced you think...

I know nothing about anything, I'm just some old guy that's done more than 99.9% of the people in this world and some how lived through it all..

Oh yeah, I only got a AOW card so I can get tanks filled... 30years of Diving with no cards or training... But lots of learning..

Jim....

No, you keep putting words in people’s mouths. Mandatory buddy check on gas switch was not discussed. We on one side of this debate have consistently attempted to use very precise language about skill deficiency in this video and avoid getting into an argument about variances in technique (ie buddy check gas switch vs 100% self gas switch).

there are NO HARD FACTS that Helium does help with clearing the CO2
Jim...

You said there were no hard facts, people responded with several scientific studies that proves there are in deed some "HARD FACTS"

To those with anonymous usernames,
It seems reasonable to ask that if you are going to criticize other instructors by name, or ask others to sign their name to a statement, that you should not have an anonymous username, or at least put your name in your signature line.

Hopefully this thread will help potential students decide for themselves who they would like to be their teacher. So include your name and maybe you'll get more business as an instructor.

Oh yeah, I only got a AOW card so I can get tanks filled... 30years of Diving with no cards or training... But lots of learning in my 46yrs of diving..

Jim....

You're forgetting this is a class. As I've said a million times, the instructor should hold the students to the highest (and safest) standards. Kneeling to do skills isn't a high standard. Teaching the students to do team gas switches is teaching the safest practice, and it can be difficult so it keeps the standards high. I've also said the instructor can then leave it up to the student to choose if they want to continue those practices. I was taught team gas verification in all of my classes. I still use it and think it's the safest practice. I don't do it every single time I pick up a stage in a cave because it's not always realistic, and I'm not usually doing a multigas decompression dive. Most are 40 minutes or less of deco.

I don't even know why I'm responding to you since it's obvious it will go nowhere. You seem to think you know it all and aren't open to other ideas.

Ummm... actually it does. Someone else can speak to the specific numbers but helium is less dense and results in less CO2 buildup - helps to reduce work of breathing on OC as well as CC.

Edit: Oops look like many others made the same point I did but with actual research backing them up! Sorry I didn’t refresh before responding!

...AND ADDING HELIUM DOESN'T HELP CO2 build up...

Actually that is exactly what you said...

...AND ADDING HELIUM DOESN'T HELP CO2 build up...

Look
Actually that is exactly what you said...
if you can't understand the difference between those two statements, I don't know what to say... Have fun kids...

DOOR.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom