VIDEO: Euro Jax Dania Beach Florida 09/13/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video! What kind of camera were you using?

Also, I've seen the Jakcs referred to as both Euro and Ero - the park's website says Eurojacks:
Activities for John U. Lloyd Beach State Park Florida State Parks

"Scuba Diving
For those interested in the underwater beauty of South Florida, Lloyd Beach has one of the easiest and interesting shore dives in the area. You can follow the submerged Eurojacks to the first reef. This allows snorkelers and divers to see a vast array of sealife including tropical and sport fish, sharks and Florida lobster. "
Hey thanks for the link. I've seen it spelled both ways as well. I wonder why it is "euro" because they don't evoke anything European in my mind, while erojack sounds like something placed to help the environment.

Hey thanks for the link. I've seen it spelled both ways as well. I wonder why it is "euro" because they don't evoke anything European in my mind, while erojack sounds like something placed to help the environment.

Perhaps it was fine Italian conrcrete that they imported to make them? I always thought it was ero for erosion.

I heard that they were put in the water during some war so the tanks wouldn't be able to get on the shore.. Probably a war where Europe was involved being that they are "euro" jacks. Don't know for sure though.

I was there as well on Sunday at about 9 am. Didn't catch the ray but did manage to spot a huge moray under a ledge on 1st reef just north of the jacks. Good work on the video. Thanks!

Bout time kal! haha

Great video! Looks like a ton of fun to be living in Fl!

Yup, as someone else just said, they refer to Erosion control jacks

Perhaps it was fine Italian conrcrete that they imported to make them? I always thought it was ero for erosion.

They were put there as an experiment to control beach erosion, they're shaped like jacks, ie. ero jacks.

Rocla : Erosion Control : Precast Armour Units : A-Jacks® Erosion Control System

Nice video

Yup, as someone else just said, they refer to Erosion control jacks

'Zackly. I wonder how they got to be called Eurojacks? I'll bet it was a typo on the State Parks website that nobody ever caught and it just "stuck".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom