Video Camera-Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the market to upgrade my video camera from tape to digital. I figured while i'm at it, I might as well find a digital vid camera that I can dive with as well.

I did a search, hoping to find a similar question but I couldnt find a match.

Could someone please point me in the right direction regarding what video cam is good and also able to find housing for? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money here, im not looking to capture a documentary. Just wanna do some quick shots of the dives and an underwater view of the kids snorkeling.

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 months ago I went through the same thing. I originally was purchasing a Sony PC 330, but I decided I wanted excellent video, not just decent. I went with the Sony TRV 950, a 3 chip camera. The quality is excellent and the color absortion underwater is superior to single chip cameras. I recently received my Bluefin housing package from Light and Motion. This is one fantastic piece of equipment.

If you want quality and are willing to pay, then go with a 950 (about $1,600) and then save for the housing and lights.

The downside to 3 chip cameras is that they require more light than their single chip counterparts. If you're going deeper than 30 feet or so and the sun isn't really bright, you'll want video lights.

Todd

I have three Canons and 4 Sonys, both 1 and 3 ccd cameras. For what it sounds like you want, I would suggest going with the 1 chip as 3 may be more than you need really. Spend the extra money on teaching those kids to dive!! :)

I love my Canons and like my Sonys. My fav Sony is the TRV-33 - very small and does everything I want that camera to do. It gets used almost daily in great to icky viz, from snorkelling to 35m+. My Canons are also several years old...my fav here is the MV10i - just a workhorse that has never given me a lick of trouble and is also small.

I don't like the really really tiny cameras and housings as I find stability hard, especially while snorkelling. The 33 is just about perfect size in its Amphibico housing...for me. YMMV

I also do not use lights, no matter the depth. Yes, I don't get the same results but to not spend extra money I am willing to work within the limitations of the red filter...and for the diving I do, it works a treat.

PM if you want more info or ask away here (though I tend to lose threads sometimes!)

Great post! I am a documentary film-maker and want to buy my own camera + housing. Never done underwater video before. How much money do you guys think I would have to spend to get a good quality camera with casing? Does the TRV series give you broadcast quality image?

SeaHound:
Great post! I am a documentary film-maker and want to buy my own camera + housing. Never done underwater video before. How much money do you guys think I would have to spend to get a good quality camera with casing? Does the TRV series give you broadcast quality image?

Check out B&H for prices on equipment. If you go three chip be prepared to spend a good amount.

I have had footage from a range of cameras from Hi8 Canon to my TRV950 used for national and international broadcasts. Please note: I do not usually shoot for broadcast or for resale to broadcast, though it does happen. If your main aim is to sell footage - head for the 3 chip. If you are only doing it sometimes and if your footage is unique enough, 1 chip will work. Not sure if routine, stock 1 chip stuff will be sufficient- probably depends on your market to some degree...I don't sell stuff as a rule and am not the best person to answer this part!

Just curious, what kind of post-processing do you guys do on your video? Is there less need to clean it up because of the filters and lamps that you use? I notice with my digital stills that even with manual white balance, I still get much improvement by adjusting levels and such afterwards.

alcina:
I have three Canons and 4 Sonys, both 1 and 3 ccd cameras. For what it sounds like you want, I would suggest going with the 1 chip as 3 may be more than you need really. Spend the extra money on teaching those kids to dive!! :)

I love my Canons and like my Sonys. My fav Sony is the TRV-33 - very small and does everything I want that camera to do. It gets used almost daily in great to icky viz, from snorkelling to 35m+. My Canons are also several years old...my fav here is the MV10i - just a workhorse that has never given me a lick of trouble and is also small.

I don't like the really really tiny cameras and housings as I find stability hard, especially while snorkelling. The 33 is just about perfect size in its Amphibico housing...for me. YMMV

I also do not use lights, no matter the depth. Yes, I don't get the same results but to not spend extra money I am willing to work within the limitations of the red filter...and for the diving I do, it works a treat.

PM if you want more info or ask away here (though I tend to lose threads sometimes!)
Im kinda settled on this one........ Canon....Yea or nay?
Media Type: SD Memory Card Digital Zoom: 400X Optical Zoom: 20X Features: Skin Detail Function, ZoomBrowser EX (PC), ImageBrowser (Mac), Card Mix Effects, PictBridge Compatibility, StitchAssist Mode Function, End Search Function Weight: Approx 1.1 lbs Battery: BP-508 Battery Pack Cable(s) included: STV-250N Stereo Video Cable, IFC-300PCU USB Cable Dimensions (WxDxH): 2.1" x 5.5" x 3.7" Display: 2.5" TFT LCD (approx. 112,000 pixels) Focal Length: 1.6 - 3.2 mm Included Accessories: SS-900 Shoulder Strap, CA-570 Compact Power Adapter, WL-D82 Wireless Controller Lens Aperture: f = 2.8 - 56 Media Capacity: 8 MB Media Included Qty: 1 Microphone: Stereo electret condenser microphone Optical Sensor Type: CCD Power: 7.4 V DC Power Consumption Operational: 2.3 W (using viewfinder), 3.3 W (using LCD screen) Product Type: Digital Camcorder Zoom: 20X Optical / 400X Digital

Back
Top Bottom