Video Camera-Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see a model number?

I really like my Canons - never a problem with any of them.

If you can choose, go for the wider angle always as it is more useful underwater. You will not use the digital zoom (yuck!).

Optical zoom is good, but remember you still have to get close and closer...everything is magnified when you zoom - including those nasty little particles. I almost never zoom very much for shots unless I am shooting something small and want to make him bigger :) Then I get as close as possible, zoom in, make sure I am in focus and start filming.

Frankly, I doubt you can go too wrong with any of the main cameras or housing manufacturers...some just cater to different needs.

I don't really know much about this area, but I get the impression you might want to check around and see what those who will market/broadcast your films will be willing to accept. I think a lot of the serious underwater film guys are using something along the lines of a Sony VX-2000 at a minimum. Then again, I dove with a sports instant replay guy who said he's sold some underwater footage using a high 8 cam. I also know several local videographers who have has short segments/clips make Discovery Channel or Travel Channel segments, but not anything at a level of a documentary, nwith nothing better tahn a Sony mini dv cam. Our local public access cable guy said that a lot of larger market public access channels won't accept stuff filmed on your basic mini-dv cam, don't know if they make exceptions for underwater stuff.

Steve

SeaHound:
Great post! I am a documentary film-maker and want to buy my own camera + housing. Never done underwater video before. How much money do you guys think I would have to spend to get a good quality camera with casing? Does the TRV series give you broadcast quality image?

Generally, as a rule TV channels dont accept stuff shot from consumer level mini DV. PD 150-100, VX 1000-2000, Cannon XL are industry standards for out door news reports and that is the bare minumum that gets accepted. But underwater video is a different ball-game altogether. If you catch a shot of baracuda attacking another fish, channels will buy even if it is shot on VHS!

I have never used TRV or consumer end stuff but resolution/picture quality wise how different is it from XL, PD 150 and the sort?? Does anyone know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom