Video: Blue water at Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
According to Bruce and other diving intelligencia in this prior thread, we were experiencing an upwelling last week that brought cold, clear water into the bay.

I met Mikemill for the first time at Lobos, and we made one dive out to the west of the sand channel to explore the shallower reefs towards Cannery Point, and hopefully come across Hole in the Wall from the back.

We didn't make it all the way, but we did have some fantastic visibility, starting at about 15ft in the cove where we descended, to more than 30ft at depth. I know Doc Wong and Kathy & Eric and a few others were out as well, so I'm eager to hear how conditions were further out of the cove!

It was also the first day for me to really try out the Flip. I'm going to need a little time to learn to shoot it well, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. The clear conditions yesterday meant I didn't get to test the low-light capabilities, but for bright light shooting, it's really not bad.

[youtubehq]b4mcfwvoCuI[/youtubehq]

Great report and video Kenn, but I have to say I was a little disappointed by the lack of bunnies too. :wink:

25 to 30 feet of vis on Sunday? Friday Karl, Kevin, and me had 100 foot vis outside just around the point diving off of Phil's boat.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear that you're pretty happy with the Flip HD. For the price, it's quite a nice set-up, especially if it shoots decent video.

Curious if a red filter would help it out.

bunnies?!?!?

Great report and video Kenn, but I have to say I was a little disappointed by the lack of bunnies too. :wink:

I'm not a part of Team Bunny so it wouldn't be fair to put them in :D

Lol. The bunnies can be a bit camera shy and are resting. I need to get some footage of them doing their breakfast-time happy dance.

25 to 30 feet of vis on Sunday? Friday Karl, Kevin, and me had 100 foot vis outside just around the point diving off of Phil's boat.

We didn't get very far outside of the cove at all, maybe hitting 60ft depth. Still, 30ft might be a bit conservative, as you could see pretty far though there were lot of large particulates in the water. Mike, what would you say the viz was?

Glad to hear that you're pretty happy with the Flip HD. For the price, it's quite a nice set-up, especially if it shoots decent video.

Curious if a red filter would help it out.

Sorry you couldn't make it Don! It would have been a great day for scootering!

I've never used filters so I'm not sure what the effect would be, but yesterday would have been a perfect day to use one. I know the filters really cut down on light though, which is one thing these cheapo pocket camcorders really need in order to perform well. One thing with the Flip is that there is no manual WB, and it will auto-adjust constantly as lighting changes (so you can see in the video that blue occasionally shifts to green and back again). It doesn't bother me but would probably drive real videographers nuts :)

So who else was out last weekend??

We dove the North Coast on Saturday and did a night dive. Awesome conditions in Lake Pacific. Sunday was very impressive too...in another kind of way, with the swells busting big onshore.

I had a great time with dannobee and Viola on the boat. Dan took us to a place off Monastery, I think he said it was Moss Point, I had never been there before and it was lovely. Some current but the water was clear and the site itself was remarkable with lots of fish and corals and kelp. The second dive we did was off the aquarium, I saw a sunstar that looked like it was big enough to eat a person. Viz wasn't as good at the second site, but it was again somewhere I hadn't been before. I had a really good time. Thanks dannobee!

Wow. That is such a cool reef. Keep hearing so much about Lobos and have never dove it, so it's nice to see video from there. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom