Video: 1/4/10 @ Great Pinnacle and Thumbs Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Starting the new year with a bang!

After a bit of weekend swell, the storms have laid down for the week, giving us some glassy goodness on Monday. Peter, Kathy and Erik let me tag along on the boat, and we had a couple of fantastic dives, first at Great Pinnacle and later at Thumbs Up. After getting used to 15-minute surface swims, there's something almost obscene about a 2-minute ride out from the cove!

[youtubehq]oUEKlWLr5OQ[/youtubehq]

Hey Ken,

I need to tell you, when word gets out that you have filmed and it's about to go to the board, I get excited and can hardly control the urge to scan Norcal forum in search of the word Gombessa... :)

Dude, your videos are so much fun to look at, they always leave me with the questions: What will he film next, What music will he slap on to the video, What surprise ending will there be at the credits, another bunny or something all together different...

You hit the icing on the cake, and I cannot wait until I get a chance to be in one of your films, you simply make diving fun and I hope to catch a dive with you in the near future...

Once again thanks for sharing and keep us in suspense with your next video... :popcorn:

Mike G

Mike, what a nice thing to say, thank you so much! I mainly have two goals with my videos--document my dives and encourage people to post up more videos for me to see :)

I'm out of town and out of the water for a few weeks, but am looking to get a lot more diving in for 2010. Let's make a plan!

Thanks for coming out and sharing a great dive day with us Kenn :)

Did two dives at Lobos with the first being Great Pinnacles and the second at Thumbs Up. When we got to Lobos the water was flat and there were no waves crashing over the rocks. In fact we could not really see or feel the swells on the ocean. Phil Sammet was just finishing a tech dive, and pulled his anchor to let us anchor in the sand channel. Set the anchor by hand in 96 feet of water and headed up to start the dive. We stayed around 80 feet for 40 minutes taking in the beautiful hydro corals and spotted Victor the resident Sheepshead. He is massive! After surfacing and packing two sets of doubles and a couple single tanks in the boat, we squeezed ourselves into the boat and headed South for a scenic cruise. We kept watching out towards the ocean side for whales but were disappointed to not find any. Instead we came across a pod of about 40 Risso dolphins jumping and playing all around us. They were surfacing really close to the boat. All of us enjoyed the show.

After a long SI, we headed to Thumbs Up dropped the hook in 60' which I wound up tossing over the edge into probably 100' of water. After a little confusion of who was actually leading (Seems our discussion at the surface was more finger pointing then actually agreeing) I just started poking along the wall and everyone followed. We were shortly visited by a couple of Sea Lions, with one coming within two feet of me. We watched a nice size Vermillion get chased away by a pregnant rock fish. Then saw a couple Ling Cod, and a Cabazon. Tons of Blue, Perch, and other fish just hanging out in the water column. Kenn, slowly waving his light at me to gain my attention, signals me to turn due to air pressure. Instead I show the ascend some signal and we kick about another 40 feet until I find a cut in the rock to pass through. Once through, the anchor line is about ten feet to our left and we begin ascending up the line.

Once we are back in the boat we decide to take a tour again this time to Monastery. It is an easy boat ride over and Monastery was easily divable from shore. In the kelp a short distance away one of the crew spots an Otter. We ran the depth sounder over the trench a few times then headed back where, the mother and baby Otter were also waiting at the boat ramp for our return.

Got everything washed down, packed away for the ride home, and after a quick bite to eat on Cannery Rows cheapest burrito place, started the long journey.

I couldn't have asked for a nicer day or group of divers to spend the day with.

Nice video and nice diving with you Kenn.

Thanks again Peter for dragging the boat out for us.

-Erik

I too love your videos Kenn. They are often quite inspiring. Thanks for preserving the memory of another fantastic day on the water with my buddies;-).

Tag along? Not at all - You were our honorary guest and a welcome addition ;-)! I hope we all do it again sometime soon!

Peter, a huge thanks for bringing your boat and for all the amazing dives ;-).

Ken,

I'm new to scubaboard, but your videos are impressive. Thank you for taking and posting them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom