Video: 1/30/10 at Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This whole El Nino thing has been wreaking havoc on the "good winter viz" we've been waiting for all year :wink: Nearly 3 weeks now with weekends above the storm threshold. But at least for shore diving, seems things are never quite as bad as they seen. Saturday was sunny, making for a slightly surgy, very milky 5-15ft visibility day at Lobos.

[youtubehq]kjr2wbDo_Z0[/youtubehq]

Happily, it looks like things are settling down, at least for a few days!

Ah a few days away from Lobos and your video makes me already miss it ;-).

Interesting temp. I logged 53F both sat/sun at BW.

This whole El Nino thing has been wreaking havoc on the "good winter viz" we've been waiting for all year :wink: Nearly 3 weeks now with weekends above the storm threshold. But at least for shore diving, seems things are never quite as bad as they seen. Saturday was sunny, making for a slightly surgy, very milky 5-15ft visibility day at Lobos.

Ken,

The shore dives have seen the worse of the storms, slamming into the coast and making viz not much more than what you are reporting.

However, things are differrent when you are not on the shore. :D

Reports off the boats within the last three weeks have been 25-35 ft of viz, surge however has been our foe out here.

Check your temp, dude that water is a bath tub, never had it report that at Lobos. Send that report to the Garibaldi so they will come up and join us. :D

Last edited:
Seems like we've settled into another cycle of bad weekend diving.... I'm sure the reports from midweek will be of 100 ft vis and upwellings... =/
Glad to see Steve was able to borrow some gear and jump in....
I assume he survived the ordeal and the "chicken ring" rig... (He might as well have been wearing a red shirt)

Ah a few days away from Lobos and your video makes me already miss it ;-).

Interesting temp. I logged 53F both sat/sun at BW.

Check your temp, dude that water is a bath tube, never had it report that at Lobos. Send that report to the Garibaldi so they will come up and join us. :D

I've always thought my bottom timer was a degree or two high on the temperature, there were quite a few teams there today, maybe they can shed some light on the real temps. I figured it was a combination of El Nino warming, a sunny and warm day, a constant outbound tide starting from 9am in the morning, and the fact that we were averaging about 30ft depth on both dives. I certainly didn't get cold, that's for sure!

The shore dives have seen the worse of the storms, slamming into the coast and making viz not much more than what you are reporting.

However, things are differrent when you are not on the shore. :D

Reports off the boats within the last three weeks have been 25-35 ft of viz, surge however has been our foe out here.

Sigh, I was on a boat on the 23rd, at the peak of the storm that week (12-16ft swell predictions) - about 10-15ft (generously) where we could get out. The weekends seem to getting hit the worst.

Seems like we've settled into another cycle of bad weekend diving.... I'm sure the reports from midweek will be of 100 ft vis and upwellings... =/
Glad to see Steve was able to borrow some gear and jump in....
I assume he survived the ordeal and the "chicken ring" rig... (He might as well have been wearing a red shirt)

Heh, I'll just have to sit here and read reports from lucky weekday divers :) Steve's slowly getting his gear back together, I imagine by the end of February, all of us are going to be blinded by the sun reflecting off all his new stuff. Including the new Team Bunny float, it's so cool August decided doff his doubles in-water and stage it out there for dive 2!

Yikes! I am glad we chose to dive North of the Carmel River Thursday. The vis was much better than that, and there was no surge or current. In fact the ocean glassed off towards the end of the day. That seems to be a reoccurring theme in Monterey. Windy in the morning and no wind in the late afternoon. We recorded different temps on our computers with mine reading 57 degrees and Ryan's reading 55 degrees.

This weekend is not looking good weather wise with a large mixed swell, and rain which doesn't matter for diving, but does when you plan on camping. I guess I am getting less rugged or something since I have done entire backpacking trips in the rain, along with many other camping trips in the rain.

I guess I am getting less rugged or something ....

Translation:

Less rugged = Old

I'm just saying....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom