Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to McKenzie Bight with SeanQ this morning. We went to the closest trail (a few steps past the waterfall). We swam out to the right instead of the usual left to see what we could see. Vis at the surface wasn't too bad (there were alot of white bits) so I assumed it would be really good deeper. The white bits were still there at 100 feet deep and vis was around 20-30 feet. I guess it wasn't too bad. -Good enough to see a male wolfeel at 110 feet. There is a gentle slope of sand for quite awhile, but eventually the reefs start up again. They aren't as steep as at the popular entry point though. There are lots of rockfish (copper, quillback) and some boot sponges.
By the way, I saw a drysuit at Value Village today for $39.99. If you're quick you can be as cool as me. It's an older neoprene, with both inflation and exhaust valves (whites) on the chest. It's too short for me. It would probably fit someone around 5' 8''.

Vis was around 20-30 feet at Ten Mile Point today. It was nice and bright. Two people who went in just before me saw a giant skate. I didn't see it, but there were all the usual vermilion rockfish, cabezon, etc.. After the dive, I watched a group of porpoises hanging around a bit off the wall.

Did a dive with Wedivebc at Mckenzie Bight this evening. Vis was 10 feet or less in the shallows. It cleared up around 50 feet deep, but it was dark. If I had to guess, I'd say vis was around 40 feet max in the deeper areas. Wedivebc hit the bottom, but I stayed in the shallows (135 feet max).

So Dave for future reference as I may bring a couple of deco bottles and a nice trimix fill to explore the "bottom" one of these day, how deep did you and Scott go and would you go again?

Cheers

Al

Hyper-limits:
So Dave for future reference as I may bring a couple of deco bottles and a nice trimix fill to explore the "bottom" one of these day, how deep did you and Scott go and would you go again?

Cheers

Al
Hit a mud slope 50ft before my target depth.

swankenstein:
By the way, I saw a drysuit at Value Village today for $39.99. If you're quick you can be as cool as me. It's an older neoprene, with both inflation and exhaust valves (whites) on the chest. It's too short for me. It would probably fit someone around 5' 8''.
There are now 3 drysuits at Value Village. 2 neoprene ($39) and one front-entry sailing-type (no valves) for $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom