Vest vs core warmer vs 1 mil micropene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleon

Reaction score
I'm going diving in Fiji on a liveaboard for a week in October. I currently have a 5mil Henderson Hyperstretch. I get cold easily so I was thinking of getting something else in case I start getting cold after a couple of days. I was trying to decide betweed a non-hooded vest (worn underneath), core warmer (worn on top), or 1 mil micropene (worn underneath). Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks,
Becky

I used 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch Vest and 1 mm Microprene. For the warm protection, 5 mm vest is your choice. 1 MM Microprene won't help you that much.

hoosier:
I used 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch Vest and 1 mm Microprene. For the warm protection, 5 mm vest is your choice. 1 MM Microprene won't help you that much.

A 1 mil can help a lot if it helps seal up your suit,especially the neck seal. A light hooded vest will provide a lot more warmth than a regular unhooded vest.

Actually, that is a set up what I am wearing, 1mm Microprene, Hyperstretch hooded vest, and 7 mm Gold core. The major protection is from the vest, not 1 mm Microprene.

The only reason I used 1 mm Microprene is to make don/doff 7 mm to be easier
Brian Gilpin:
A 1 mil can help a lot if it helps seal up your suit,especially the neck seal. A light hooded vest will provide a lot more warmth than a regular unhooded vest.

Two trips to the Garden Island Resort (which basically means only two dives per day). Both in the month of March (with low 80's water temperatures). Both times took a 3mm full-suit, and last time took a 3mm hooded vest. Never wore either - was very comfortable with a 1mm and beannie. The other stuff was to provide alternatives if the 1mm wasn't enough. Doing more dives/day might alter the result.

Although a little unconfortable, I almost always dive with my hooded vest. Not even for the reason that a majority of heat is lost through my head, it helps in this too, but becuase the hood prevents any water from entering the neck seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom