Very Simple Spring Strap solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good to me. I just bought a used pair of these jetfins at a flea market here in Colorado for $1 and I'd hate to triple my cost in these by buying a pair of $3 straps. Seems like some sort of clamp on the free end would prevent that bungee from pulling through.

Does anyone want to comment how their bungee straps are holding up after a few years. Any more noticeable problems? They seem like a no brainer to me and make getting in and out of my turtles a dream. And as far as cost goes, I don't see a benefit to paying 30 dollars and up when the bungee works so well... anyone?

I have had bungees on my fins for 3 years now (5 pairs of fins) they hang in a storage shed when not in use, but spent about 1 year in the bed of my truck (very hot) no deterioration thus far - still in great shape.

Aloha, Tim

I prefer spring straps (springier) but use bungees now and then as a temporary solution. However, here's how I attach them:

bungee_strap.jpg

That's 1/4" bungee, which is about right for this application. I wouldn't go with anything thinner and I doubt you'd gain anything from going with thicker bungee either. I just use this as a temporarily solution, but people have been using bungee necklaces for years with good results.

Now if I wanted to make this a more permanent solution, then I'd tie knots at the end of the cord right next to the main knot to make sure it cannot come undone, and I'd put some transparent tubing around the cords (the way people put around spring straps) to keep the bungee intact and neater.

Tim,
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your website, I even have it bookmarked! It saved me when deciding what size fins to buy, and it has been inspiring me to my own DIY projects. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom