Very Simple Spring Strap solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw someone mention using bungee cord instead of ss springs to make spring straps out of - since I wanted about 5 sets of spring straps to convert all my "loaner" fins and did not want to spend $200 doing so I went down to the hardware store and bought a pack of black 3/8" bungee tie downs for $3.95. I threaded them through the existing ScubaPro Jet Fin hardware (as shown here) making sure they were appropriately sized for fin size and most boot sizes, but I also left about 1 inch excess on both ends so that some variation in strap size may be had. When threaded thus (which was the most difficult part of the process) they hold securely and I have not had one come loose yet. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but the end goes above the loose retaining bar, the other wraps press it up like a vise on the portion passing through it - Hope that makes sense.

My buddies all seem to appreciate them and when they get their own pair of Jets they can pay for the "real" spring straps themselves.

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html has pictures of the final product. (The file attachment option seems to be down right now on scubaboard)

Hope this helps someone else.
Tim

OK, call me biased for obvious reasons, but - why is this superior to plain old rubber straps? In fact, especially in cold weather, I can see it being inferior (not an issue in Hawaii, I know) since it would be tougher to grab with gloved hands.

Like I said - I know, I'm biased. That being said, I have tremendous respect for those who are willing to stick their neck out and fashion a solution and try to DIY something up... but I just don't see this as a solution. There are no durability advantages, that's for sure...

Boogie711:
OK, call me biased for obvious reasons, but - why is this superior to plain old rubber straps? In fact, especially in cold weather, I can see it being inferior (not an issue in Hawaii, I know) since it would be tougher to grab with gloved hands.

Even in warm water, rubber straps don't stretch much. But the bungees should stretch much easier and eliminate having to adjust the straps for donning and doffing. But I agree with you, it looks like it would work for a while until you get the spring straps.

let us know how they hold up after a few months, I can see boogies point, but he could be just biased :wink:

I actually agree with Boogie - Which is why I use regular Spring straps on my personal fins - but they are a lot easier for donning and they don't slip like the rubber straps did (frequently) so far everyone that has tried them seems to really like them. How they hold up remains to be seen. As far as grabbing with gloves (3mil that is -lol) I found them just as easy as the steel spring straps. I was NOT impressed with the rubber straps that came on the Jet fins (The Turtles were MUCH more substantial) and did not want to trust them even in the short term.

Tim

P.S. Boogie - you know spring straps better than probably anyone - so I'm honored to have your opinion voiced regarding this "crazy" idea - thanks.

Kidspot, did you make your own springstraps for your fins or buy them? Perhaps from boogie? :) I would order them but the shipping would kill me to Europe.

I like you're thinking on the bungee straps. Hey, isn't that what the Force Fin guys use anyway? I would think they'd hold up fairly well and give signs of failure - like too much stretch- before failure. Also as long as you didn't use them in chlorine pool water much they would seem a reasonable option.

Dennis

Diving Preacher - I looked at Boogies, but his are not compatible with Jet Fins, just the type with posts, after comparing the DIY price (which shipping is high for) and the ones available at Leisurepro, I got the ones from them instead. The price was the same and these have delrin retainers, where any I made would be aluminum or plastic. You might want to wait till you come stateside next time and order some - either from Boogie or someone else. Shipping is very high in Hawaii for many companies only because they require UPS 2n'd day air so I'd assume Europe would be even worse.

BouyantC - The last guy I saw wearing ForceFins did have straps made from Bungee cord. But just to be clear - Bungees are definitely substandard compared to Stainless Steel Springs - but they do make a nice "trial style" or temporary (while waiting for the real thing to be made/arrive - lol) The other factor with the bungees is that they are a greater entanglement hazard - I found that out two days ago while dragging our dive flag/float - I didn't have many problems (first time I've towed a float) but my buddy got tangled the instant he tried towing it (tangled in fins, valve and under tank/wing before he'd gone 10 feet I think) - I'm sure we both have problems with technique, but the bungees are not much better than rubber straps in the entanglement category.
Tim

Thanks Tim,
The Lds here has some for about $45. Made locally. Look pretty good. Same place I bought my canister light. 12v 5ah batterz pack, 35w 10° stainless halogen head for $250.

They do nice work.
Jeff

Hey Jeff, Sounds like a great deal - that's less than I'd have paid if I'd gone the DIY route on mine (actually that would have been close to just my shipping). The Canister light too.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom