VERY new with a question about swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daisy1970

Reaction score
Hi all. Well I'm going to start practising for my dive course next month, and in order to do that I have to swim 8 laps to qualify for the SCUBA course. I have severe osteo arthritis (knees and starting in lower back) and the cold makes it worse. We have a gym close by with a swimming pool and I plan to begin training. However even though the pool is heated (75 degrees) I still find the water cold. Can anyone recommend a warm but thin swimsuit (arms and legs) I can use for training so I don't stiffen and get too cold in the water while I'm training and doing my swimming in the pool? Thanks for any help.

Well I would freeze in 75 degree water. I would suggest one of the triathlon swimming suits. They are designed for swimming a should work well in a pool.

I sometimes wear a Pinnacle heavy weight skin when swimming laps, just not sure that would be warm enough..

8 laps isn't very much, I wouldn't bother spending money on a SWIM suit when you intend on learning to dive, which is a totally different exposure suit. Can you do 8 laps now and are just worried about style and speed? Scuba diving is not front crawl finesse swimming. If you think you can do 8 laps right now, why not get a wetsuit that is for your actual intended dive enviroment..that would make the most sense to me, and for your swims & floats your instructor can offset the buoyany of the dive wetsuit with a proper measured weightbelt.

You could use a 3mm wetsuit with weight belt to counteract the buoyancy of the suit. The cert agencies allow it.

If you get the right well fitting 3mm full suit it will provide a comfortable reinforcing compression and warmth and will set you in good stead for future swimming and diving.

Of course minus the weight belt.

Doing laps in a tight-fitting wetsuit will restrict your range-of-motion, create more drag, and make the swimming more difficult... I'd go without and just suck it up for the eight laps.

Hi all. Well I'm going to start practising for my dive course next month, and in order to do that I have to swim 8 laps to qualify for the SCUBA course. I have severe osteo arthritis (knees and starting in lower back) and the cold makes it worse. We have a gym close by with a swimming pool and I plan to begin training. However even though the pool is heated (75 degrees) I still find the water cold. Can anyone recommend a warm but thin swimsuit (arms and legs) I can use for training so I don't stiffen and get too cold in the water while I'm training and doing my swimming in the pool? Thanks for any help.

As an Aquatics Director helping patrons in a similar situation daily, I recommend looking for a warmer pool to practice in rather than putting money out on a special suit. 75F is not too bad for a lap pool, but I recommend water nearer to 82f-86f for your needs. The hydrostatic pressure acting on your body during the workout would also have positive effect on your body as a whole.

Looking for a pool with adult swim stroke clinics can also help finding your best strokes and improve overall comfort in the water.

As far as a suit, most of the ones like what you describe can be pretty pricey for a bathing suit. I do not recommend a triathlon suit as it, or any other neoprene based suit, will add buoyancy and limit range of motion in some cases. In the least it may make returning to an upright position slightly more difficult.

Get an entry level 3 mil wet suit, this way you can use it for your scuba training also. Cost like a Neo-Sport under 150. Pretty comfy also. I do triathlons and also own a Zoot tri suit 300 dollars built for speed not as comfy.

Some of the big certifying agencies will allow the option of snorkel-swimming (with fins) for the watermanship requirement of the Open Water course. As you mentioned you have arthritis, swimming with fins may be easier on the knees. So if you are an experienced snorkeller, ou may want to ask the course organisers if you have this option.

I go with finding a pool with warmer water. If you can do this, it might be better than spending money on a suit you may or may not use again.

All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom