VERY new with a question about swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get an entry level 3 mil wet suit, this way you can use it for your scuba training also. Cost like a Neo-Sport under 150. Pretty comfy also. I do triathlons and also own a Zoot tri suit 300 dollars built for speed not as comfy.

I would check if you'd be allowed to use this suit for the test. Doubtful. Plus if you practise with it, swimming would be easier because you have more buoyancy (unless you add weights). This, as well as warmth, are reasons they don't allow wetsuits in ocean swim competitions (you can use them, but can't rank for a medal). If you have to do the test in the 75 degree pool in swim trunks only, maybe the best thing is to practise that way, unpleasant as it is, so you know what you can do.

Triathalon wetsuits are designed to allow the range of motion you need to swim in. SCUBA wetsuits are not. You can actually rent Tri suits, since people often fly in for events, etc. First best option is to find a warmer pool, but renting a tri suit is only $30-40.

I have a suit from Body Glove I use for kayaking on in the ocean. It's a shorty with the arms cut like a vest so my motion is completely free but my core is kept warm. I believe it's three mil or maybe four but it offers a nice break from the breeze and cooler water without being too much else

I use the pool in my building and it is too convenient for me to go elsewhere to save the $140 a triathlon suit costs. Both seem like good solutions to me. A triathlon suit, obviously, is made for swimming, and you can find one that doesn't constrain the arms.

I would check if you'd be allowed to use this suit for the test. Doubtful. Plus if you practise with it, swimming would be easier because you have more buoyancy (unless you add weights). This, as well as warmth, are reasons they don't allow wetsuits in ocean swim competitions (you can use them, but can't rank for a medal). If you have to do the test in the 75 degree pool in swim trunks only, maybe the best thing is to practise that way, unpleasant as it is, so you know what you can do.

A little off subject but just in case someone is reading this and thinking of doing triathlons in the United States. The following are the USAT rules regarding wetsuits

1) Water temperature is 78 degrees or lower:
Wetsuits may be worn

2) Water temperature is between 79 degrees and 83 degrees:

Wetsuits may be worn, HOWEVER, the participant is not eligible for any race
awards and do not receive any USAT ranking points or series ranking points.

3) Water temperature is 84 degrees or higher:

Wetsuits are not allowed

Because of the change in buoyancy, the suit would put you, potentially, at a disadvantage. It would make training easier, making the swim harder without the suit. I do not believe that a suit is the best way to go. If there is a YMCA in your area, I may be able to arrange something with their Aquatics Director for your practices.

Hi all - well thank you so much for all your input. I guess I have quite a lot to consider. In my area there is no pool with a higher temp, so I may well have to suck it up. I think I'm going to contact the dive operator and ask what they would suggest. I need to practice my swimming - I haven't swum in quite a while, so before I even start the course I want to make sure I can easily do 8 laps. Thank you very much for all your advice and I will post to this thread after I decide which option is best for me.

Because of the change in buoyancy, the suit would put you, potentially, at a disadvantage. It would make training easier, making the swim harder without the suit. I do not believe that a suit is the best way to go. If there is a YMCA in your area, I may be able to arrange something with their Aquatics Director for your practices.

I second that. Also I should have been more specific about competitions--It must be just the (non-triathlon) adult ocean swims that totally forbid wetsuits in order to place for medals-don't think water temp. matters at these events (have seen this rule at 72 F).

Back
Top Bottom