Very heavy feet in drysuit, both single tank BM and SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is your problem?

1) literally your feet are heavy and you cannot keep them raised relative to your legs/body

2) your entire body is rotating (your head goes up and your feet go down) but your feet and legs and body are static relative to each other

1) literally your feet are heavy and you cannot keep them raised relative to your legs/body

If this is your problem, moving weights won’t help you. You just need to figure out how to keep your feet static relative to your legs/body (ie keep your knees bent).

They are dropping either from a lack of awareness or strength. Since you do a lot of swimming, I would say your problem is lack of awareness.

Once you start keeping your feet static relative to your body, that might throw your overall trim off, but that’s a separate issue.

If this is your problem, moving weights won’t help you. You just need to figure out how to keep your feet static relative to your legs/body (ie keep your knees bent).

They are dropping either from a lack of awareness or strength. Since you do a lot of swimming, I would say your problem is lack of awareness.

Once you start keeping your feet static relative to your body, that might throw your overall trim off, but that’s a separate issue.

If you say my problem is a lack of awareness of my legs, then why does this only happen when diving dry, not wet?

You dove dry before right? How is the squeeze now verses then on your legs compare? Were you diving these midget tanks back then? Stick with thinking single tanks as that's what your doing now.

Wet is giving you buoyancy in your lower legs just from the suit and I'm wondering if the dry is lacking air in the lower body causing the negative feeling at the feet. Moving weights and tanks around really just alters your pivot point.

You need not do a head stand to get air down there, you should be able to head/shoulder down slightly, legs up slightly to get some squeeze off the legs - feel the feeling.

If you say my problem is a lack of awareness of my legs, then why does this only happen when diving dry, not wet?
The wetsuit is probably adding more positive buoyancy to the legs than the air in your drysuit.

In a BP/W, the waist belt can be tight enough to restrict air flow down to your feet. In a SM rig, the waist belt and/or wing bungee can do the same thing.

Diving dry is all about managing the air bubble. If you have too much air in the top and not enough in the bottom, you have to figure out how to manage that. If that means loosening your waist belt and/or wing bungee some, then that's just part of it. If it means going somewhat head down at the start to move the air down, then that's just part of it.

If the problem is truly what you said (#1, above), what you are saying is that you are letting your legs/body bend at the waist. I.e. your torso and thighs are not a straight line. If that is really what you meant, you need to sort your body position. Tighten up your back and glutes and get your body (chest to knees) flat. That said, I'm skeptical that I have understood your correctly and that that is really what you meant. I suspect you have better body position than what I took from the earlier question and your answer.

Try putting a couple 1lb or 2lb weights onto your shoulders. I've never done it myself, but had this recommended to me at one point when I had "sinky feet". Although I was fine in my drysuit and had sinky feet when in a wetsuit.. the opposite of your situation.

Instead I solved it by using eddy fins in place of XT's when diving wet. You're already in eddy's so... maybe try the shoulder weights.

Could it be that the foot pocket in that rental drysuit is too small for you? That feels like an odd thing to suggest.. I think most people struggle to keep air OUT of their feet. My suit came with gaiters to help slow air moving to the feet. Maybe you could use gaiters to help keep air moving away from your feet?

Try putting a couple 1lb or 2lb weights onto your shoulders. I've never done it myself, but had this recommended to me at one point when I had "sinky feet". Although I was fine in my drysuit and had sinky feet when in a wetsuit.. the opposite of your situation.

Instead I solved it by using eddy fins in place of XT's when diving wet. You're already in eddy's so... maybe try the shoulder weights.

Could it be that the foot pocket in that rental drysuit is too small for you? That feels like an odd thing to suggest.. I think most people struggle to keep air OUT of their feet. My suit came with gaiters to help slow air moving to the feet. Maybe you could use gaiters to help keep air moving away from your feet?

The socks on the Fusion are huge on me. They have this generic size sock that is much bigger than my foot. I’m an XS in wetsuit booties if that gives you any idea. The Fusion boots have ankle strap. I keep that baby tight. Maybe I’ll loosen it a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom