Very happy with Vindicator Safety Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove with a guy who had this on his tank, and I asked him about it during our buddy check. I ordered one, and got it installed today. They make them from multiple tank valves. I've got mine on a Blue Steel valve. Red showing when it's closed, Green showing when it's open.

TFeZyyf.jpg

4bMFMwf.jpg

been using them for years now without problem, and find them quite useful. I also like the slightly larger size and length for reaching them on backmount doubles as the scar tissue in my shoulders gives me grief...

I've had one on my tank for 2 years now, and I really like it. It's just unfortunate that a tank valve isn't something I can easily travel with and slap on my rental tanks.

I've had two situations where it would've come in handy. Once I was in Mexico and a deck hand closed my tank valve just before I splashed. I was still doing the quarter-turn back like I'd been taught, and I'm sure he thought he was opening it. Luckily I noticed him twisting it and I was SURE I'd already opened it, so I did the three breaths test and saw the needle plummet.

Just recently I was in Hawaii with my own gear except for tanks and weights. I'm used to California diving where we do pretty much everything for ourselves, and in fact I'd set up my own gear that day on the boat. But then, while I was listening to the dive briefing, the crew went around and opened everyone's tank valves. The problem is that I have a minor issue with my second stage connection; sometimes when it's first pressurized, it leaks until you give it a little twist. I always lean in and listen for that hiss of air and fix it if needed, but the crew didn't know to do that, and I didn't know they'd opened my tank valve. So it was just sitting there, slowly bleeding, and had lost 500 psi by the time I noticed. Had the valve been green, I would've seen it right away.

Of course, both of those could also have been avoided by other people not touching my stuff. But then, the indicator valve is also a safeguard against my own stupidity, something that will surely rear its head as soon as I lose my temper over people touching my stuff.

Try changing the oring...
Already done; the whole reg was serviced too. In my admittedly limited experience, when an O-ring goes bad, it's not a problem you can continue to fix for months with just a quick twist of the connection. And, again, it's not a problem as long as I'm the one handling my own gear!

Of course, both of those could also have been avoided by other people not touching my stuff. But then, the indicator valve is also a safeguard against my own stupidity, something that will surely rear its head as soon as I lose my temper over people touching my stuff.

Keep OFF MY JUNK ! ! !

I've had two situations where it would've come in handy. Once I was in Mexico and a deck hand closed my tank valve just before I splashed.

That’s why I picked up my Vindicator, happened on a SoCal boat. They were fairly new, so I decided to give it a try, and was quite pleased. I just have the one on my “boat tank”, as I never have a problem when diving solo, or with my buddies.

My standard go to knob for just about everything now. Nothing to really go wrong, plenty to go right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom