Very confused about conditions in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. With A.I., you can budget in advance,then eat/drink (if alcohol included & you use it) without that 'oh, no, I'm running up the tab' feeling. But, because you know the onsite offerings are already paid for (management knows it, too, you're a captive audience so maybe they don't have to make the best food & booze, and if they did, you'd consume more!) you may be reluctant to 'double-pay' to eating off grounds, and thus 'miss out' on trying various other places/cuisines.

The topic gets debated on Cozumel threads sometimes. In general, from other's debates, I get the sense A.I. is easier, more convenient and predictable...but the best is to be had going non-A.I. if you're willing to research/work at it, at least in some places where there are a lot of off-site offerings.

Put another way, does the idea of knowing where every meal is coming from all week, at no extra cost past tipping, when you check in, appeal to you? Are you, er, culinarily adventurous? Or at least willing to pay to eat the odd meal out?

Richard.

Same diving, easier to get to, cheaper, most shore entries off ssndy beaches with onsite facilities instead of ironshore with none.

Much, Much more for the non-diver to do.

www.curacao.com

I figured it out

AI = all inclusive

Yep. With A.I., you can budget in advance,then eat/drink (if alcohol included & you use it) without that 'oh, no, I'm running up the tab' feeling. But, because you know the onsite offerings are already paid for (management knows it, too, you're a captive audience so maybe they don't have to make the best food & booze, and if they did, you'd consume more!) you may be reluctant to 'double-pay' to eating off grounds, and thus 'miss out' on trying various other places/cuisines.

The topic gets debated on Cozumel threads sometimes. In general, from other's debates, I get the sense A.I. is easier, more convenient and predictable...but the best is to be had going non-A.I. if you're willing to research/work at it, at least in some places where there are a lot of off-site offerings.

Put another way, does the idea of knowing where every meal is coming from all week, at no extra cost past tipping, when you check in, appeal to you? Are you, er, culinarily adventurous? Or at least willing to pay to eat the odd meal out?

Richard.

I think the decision whether or not to pick an all-inclusive depends on several factors, like what other choices are available and how good are the buffet offerings? On Grand Cayman we don't go AI because there are a lot of restaurants in many venues and price ranges, and also plenty of well-stocked grocery stores available.

We've never picked an AI on Bonaire for the same reasons.

But on the Cayman Sister Islands, we like the AI resort option because it's easy and economical, the food is very good, and there are not many eateries or food stores available on the islands

Safety is another factor, both personal safety and food/water safety. If you are not comfortable moving around the area, you might prefer to stay on the resort property and eat the buffet food. And if you are concerned about getting sick from the food or water, you might pick a higher-end AI resort and hope that they serve good, clean food.

And of course, budget is another facto. When you are figuring out the vacation costs, the AI may be the best option for your budget. And it is kind of nice to know the majority of your costs up-front, rather than being surprised by big charges later.

Not all AIs are big mega-resorts. We have stayed at several small, modest AI resorts that mostly served local foods like at the Castle Comfort Lodge on Dominica, The Reef House on Roatan, and the Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador, Bahamas. The food isn't gourmet and the choices are limited, but it's always interesting!

Oh, I forgot another important AI venue - liveaboard dive boats are always all-inclusive of course, and it's great because it means that all you have to do on vacation is "eat, sleep, and dive!" And it's also entertaining to watch the cook producing so many varieties and such large volumes of food dishes from such a tiny galley kitchen!

There are a few sites where the entry and exit are really easy and not over ironshore.

Easiest are at Dive Friends Yellow Submarine and at the fuel pier, across from the airport. At DF its a walk in over sand or a plop off the dock. At the fuel pier enter on the north side over sand and use one of the pilings for support while you put on fins. This is one of my favorite dives because it's the only place where I regularly see a bluespotted coronet fish. Only a wee bit harder is Tori's Reef. Park on the south side and step down into the sand channel, put your fins on and swim out.

A lot of the ironshore entries are not difficult. A few are. Current only at the far north and far south sites and not always. Check Windguru - Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba - Sorobon Beach, Bonaire, Dunkerbeck Procenter for the wind forcast for relatively calm days. Dive the southern sites in the morning before the wind picks up.

A trick I learned on Bonaire (after flubbing around on severtal shore entries). Watch the waves and count. Usually there will be a pattern of increasing wave height with several much smaller waves following the largest. Once you figure out the pattern you wait for the largest and then enter as it's receeding. Quickly go out far enough to float (chest high) and put your fins on.

For the best sandwich ever try Between Two Buns. Other than that I can't recommend places to eat. I stay at Coco Palm Garden (apartment with full kitchen) and cook for myself.

Soon as you get there buy a couple of 1 or 2 liter bottles of water. Remove the top drink a little and put the rest in the freezer. Bring it along and you will have ice water to drink after each dive. A 2 liter usually lasts me for 3-4 dives.

One final tip. Get Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (http://www.infobonaire.com/bsdme/) and look it over to decide what sites you most want to dive. I would recommend Angel City for the double reef. Invisibles was the site I most enjoyed to the south Mid island I loved Cliff (use the stone wall for entry and the pipe to navigate - the mini-wall is to the left). To the north Tolo was my favorite.

Someone mentioned Delphins and it would fit the "sit by the endless looping pool with a private cabana-king sized sunbed lounger while the staff brings you fruity drinks". They also have a burger food cart, multiple bars, beach w/ chairs & restaurant. The rooms are lovely - in a sleek Euro chrome and plastic way. I didn't think pricing was outrageous. We didn't stay there, did visit, got a tour of rooms, checked pricing and had dinner.

We've taken several newly minted divers to Bonaire because as my buddy says 'it's just about diving in your bathtub'. They've been able to experience boat diving, shore diving, wreck (Hilma Hooker), seen turtles, seashorses, rays, octopus, did a night dive with the Tarpon and not had to get up at 0500 to make a 0700 boat. Currents are the exception, vis normally great, dive when you want, where you want, how you want. For the more adventurous, book an East side trip.

There are topside things to do as well, maybe not like other islands/destinations but you can keep busy. The donkeys are a fun visit, bring them carrots. Do an around the island lighthouse tour. Learn the significance of Bonaire in WWII at Tanki Maraka park. Goat farm tour. Cave tour/snorkel. Learn to (or try to) kiteboard or windsurf. Great restaurants - Italian, continental, Sushi, French. Grab a table and a mojito at Cuba Campagnie and watch the day go by. Go to town when a cruise ship is in and visit the vendors. I've picked up some nice art work - watercolors and acrylics - for a very reasonable price.

I used to think there was not much to do topside on Bonaire as I am always pretty focused on the diving and feel bad if I don't to at least 4 dives a day. This past February our dive shop did a trip there and we stayed at Divi. We had a bunch of non divers along and they had a great time. Many said it was their favorite destination so far. There is plenty to do and the fact that island is not overrun with people is an advantage that many of us take for granted.

I used to think there was not much to do topside on Bonaire as I am always pretty focused on the diving and feel bad if I don't to at least 4 dives a day. This past February our dive shop did a trip there and we stayed at Divi. We had a bunch of non divers along and they had a great time. Many said it was their favorite destination so far. There is plenty to do and the fact that island is not overrun with people is an advantage that many of us take for granted.

Exactly - an island without a light, just a few stop signs, and 4 cars is a traffic jam. Compare that to places like St. Marteen (14 sq miles, 50K people) & St. Thomas (35 sq miles, 30K people) where a trip to the next 'town' can take an hour or more. Bonaire is 113sq miles and less than 20K people. Room to roam!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom