Very confused about conditions in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was planning on revisiting Grand Cayman however I never booked a place on 7MB and nothing available during my timeframe.

Now thinking of Bonaire as I have heard nothing but great things.

Once when shore diving from the point in Grand Cayman some surge came through and everyone got banged up pretty badly so I am cautious on shore dives.

I have heard from friends that there isn't any current or surge to speak of in Bonaire however they went in the summer and I am looking at December.

My first google search brought up this link which describes a different situation altogether including downcurrents.

Bonaire Talk: Currents? what currents?

My dive partner is my 16 year old son and I want the safer, shallower dives when he is with me.

If anyone could give me some idea of conditions in December / January it would be greatly appreciated.

Need to buy a ticket somewhere, need to dive soon or will need a rubber room!

Did you look on VRBO or Flipkey for places in Grand Cayman?

Did you look on VRBO or Flipkey for places in Grand Cayman?

You don't have to stay on 7MB if you are primarily interested in a diving vacation in Cayman. What types of things to you like to do on vacation? How many people in your group; are non-divers traveling with you? What is your ballpark budget for food, lodgings, and diving? Did you look at places north of 7MB like Coconut Bay Condos?

yes, nothing that was a very good fit, majority of whats left in my timeframe are one bedrooms or the Ritz Carlton ( the latter being a paltry 6350 per night).

You don't have to stay on 7MB if you are primarily interested in a diving vacation in Cayman. What types of things to you like to do on vacation? How many people in your group; are non-divers traveling with you? What is your ballpark budget for food, lodgings, and diving?

Hey Kathy, I know but I have a non-diver and if I go to GC it will be 7MB or a huge letdown.
Ha!

If you have a non diver with you, Bonaire might be a letdown as well. The west side is all ironshore and the island is pretty quiet. KathyV is a very good resource for info on the Cayman Islands. As she pointed out, there are many options apart from 7MB ( most at a better price point as well ).

Bonaire has very good shallow shore diving with very limited current all year. The shore dives on the west side of GC are pretty easy as well. Lighthouse, Turtle Reef, Sunset House etc. are relatively current free most of the time.

Hey Kathy, I know but I have a non-diver and if I go to GC it will be 7MB or a huge letdown.
Ha!

Well, 7MB in December at short notice can be pricey but be aware that there are not a lot of topside activities for non-divers in Bonaire.

Take a look at the Grand Caymanian (Holiday Inn), it is on the water but not the beach, but it is a resort venue and they offer free shuttles to the 7MB and George Town. Dive Tech is the onsite dive op and they will transport divers to their Lighthouse Point facility that offers shore dives and boat dives. You would need to rent a car if you stay at the Grand Caymanian but that is generally true if you want to shore dive different locations on GC. I have never stayed there but we visited the property in October and it looked very nice, it is not far from the action, and offered at a good price - but look for reviews from people that have stayed there recently.

Sunshine Suites might be a good option. It is part of the Westin Hotel complex but across the street, but you get access to the Westin beach on 7 mile and all the amenities of the Westin resort at a cheaper price. (Correction - I originally said Sunset House which is more of a dive resort).

You might also want to take a look at Curacao to combine a shore diving and non-diving vacation, and maybe Aruba - it is not a shore diving place but it is known for it's shallow boat dives.

St. Croix is another good option with nice topside attractions, and both good boat and shore diving. The Fredricksted Pier is one of the best (shallow) shore dives that I have ever enjoyed.

@drrich2 has a lot of experience with finding a vacation spot that will work for both divers and non-divers so he may be able to advise you. Good luck!

Don’t know where you are seeing the rates for the RC but with the exception of a couple of very high days most nights are between $600 and $800 a night which is not unusual for the winter or high end Caribbean hotels in general. Look at sites such as caymanvacations.com etc. loads of wonderful condos. Look at places like Christopher Columbus, Lacovia, Regal Beach and on and on. Stick to boat diving with a guide if you are worried about conditions. We have a group of very proficient divers down south today because of swells. It should be fun. Weather and conditions can be funky anywhere. The west side of GC is usually like glass but pop up storms and Nor’easters can affect us too especially in winter.

You will love Bonaire.. Their a great sites that have easy sand walk-in spots.. You will be diving on the westside of the island and it's really got to be nasty weather for the westside to be bad for diving.. Places like Red slave on the southern end of the island can have difficult diving some days.. But, The other sites will be great.. Bonaire is filled with diver that are not in great shape and have a hard time walking shore diving.. I'm one of them... LOL..

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom