venturi off while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the rest on the venturi however I do wonder if you were diving with something (one) unsafe. If he does not understand basic reg operation it brings into question the rest of his "knowledge". IMO, a know-it-all diver who has not clue what he is talking about is unsafe to be around.

I have to say that I learned to dive on regs without a "dive/predive" or adjustment lever (on the shops set). Went out and bought my own regs (SP Mk17 with S600 and A195) which have those adjustments but I never used them (wasn't quite sure how to initially) and never noticed (they were a lot easier breathing than the shop set anyway).

I don't use the dive/predive on my scubapro s600's either. I leave them in "dive" and adjust the knob instead. The times I've accidentally ended up with the switch set to predive, I have not been able to discern any difference.

I turn the venturi off when the reg is out of my mouth, when im brething off it it is on. I also adjust the knob on mine as needed (if needed). Ive seen too many and had too many regs free flow with the venturi left on. Currently I use XTX50s. Do what works for you.

OK, I thought from the 1st that this fellow was just blowing hot air. Thought it was worth asking though 'causeyou never know what don't know. Apparently hot air was the correct conclusion

Bottom line: given today's litigious society, would any gear manufacturer install an adjustment mode that made their gear dangerous to use?

Methinks not. Besides, on my xtx100, there's very little difference between venturi all the way up, and all the way down

Pretty much the same experience here. I always flip the Venturi on and think I can tell a difference but couldn't quantify it. My wife says she can't feel a difference so leaves hers off. We are both on Hog Zeniths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom