Venture Heated Vest - on sale; any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Thermolution in the PNW's 45-55F water year round. Most of the time I turn it on about half way into a dive as I start to get a bit chilled. If I'm doing a Third dive of the day I tend to turn it on as soon as I splash. 90% of the time it stays on the low setting, but for those extra cold 45F dives it gets bumped up on the last dive for sure. It think it does a very good job of taking the edge of any discomfort. The batteries are easily good for 3+ hours on a low setting. I've never exhausted the batteries so I don't really know how long it will go.

I dive in a dry suit, in colder lakes with longer dives planned, i usually add a couple lbs, so i can add a bit more air into my dry suit, i also only us my dry suit for buoyancy as well. My wing is back up and my counter lungs are kept to minimum loop volume on my CCR unit. i done usually turn my heater on until some time into the dive, and before i really need it.

For Great Lakes shipwreck diving where bottom temperatures during the summer are around 40 degrees I use a Light Monkey heated vest with a set of heated motorcycle glove liners. During the winter months I add a pair of heated motorcycle sock liners all powered via an external battery. This arrangement keeps me comfortable and the fingers are still flexible even under thick dry gloves. I always wear undergarments appropriate to the expected temperatures so when I completed several dives recently and my fingers were getting colder than normal, I found that a wire had broken on the power coming into the suit. I was still able to complete all my dives, heating just makes diving cold water more comfortable.

I use the wireless Thermalution vest in a wetsuit and it makes a small difference. It would probably make a bigger difference inside a drysuit as the heat is trapped better. I tried putting the heating

element in the front and overall it's more comfortable to have it in the back as it was designed. I'm
thinking of getting the Venture Vest for the double element front and back.

Back
Top Bottom