Question Venting/Frustrated/Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAOtter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Need some advice ya'll, I've been a long-time lurker here and usually able to find the answer to any questions I may need but haven't found this one. I currently own two Hog D3 reg sets. They've been flawless, no issues, been serviced when needed by the techs, and have performed well for about 300 dives on each regulator set. I wanted to convert one of the reg sets to DIN, and keep the other Yoke (Yes, I have PRO valves on all my tanks, but honestly, when I go out with my family, I'm not in the mood to run around and adjust everyone's valve or mess with it. They can stay Yoke and I'll be going back to DIN.)

I assumed this would be an easy process, called up our local Dive Shop that's authorized to sell HOG equipment. Asked them to ship me out a Yoke to DIN conversion kit, gave them the model number and all pertinent information. Apparently, I have to be an "authorized repair technician" to unscrew the Yoke, grease an O-ring, attach the DIN adaptor, and torque the part to receive that part. However, they sell the kits to other brands on their websites that you can have shipped right to your door. So, when I asked the guy, oh I must be mistaken I am sorry, I did not believe the D3's 1st stage had to be cracked open to replace the connector. I then received the "well it doesn't, but we cannot sell it unless you've taken the class, it's got to be torqued to spec." I replied, well ok, can I just come in and do it, and then you can torque it to spec for me and we call it a day? "Well, no, it's got to be torque tested." WHAT!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

So, I called HOG and get this. They will not sell me the part either unless I take their course. Because it's got to be "torqued to spec" that's "just our policy to protect ourselves." And then he throws me this gem, "just last week we had an authorized service tech who bought the same kit and had to send the 1st stage in because he mushroomed it out inside because he over torqued it." I HAVE MY OWN TORQUE WRENCHES.

THAT.... IS..... WHY...... I..... DONT...... WANT...... YOU....... PEOPLE....... TOUCHING........ MY...... STUFF!!!! Especially for little things like this. The guy just explained the exact reason I am attempting to prevent in the first place.

I've spent at least 5 grand on HOG/Dive Rite gear in the last 3 years. And at least 10 grand at this dive shop. Can people please just stop trying to nickel and dime every little thing under this planet? The sport is already expensive enough, and I am ok with that. I love it, I'd probably pay more. But it is the principle at this point.

Here's my options as I currently see them:

• Pay $436.99 for an online HOG regulator course where I will sit in front of my camera for 8 hours and get my certification.
-OR-
  • Drive 2 hours and 30 minutes to the nearest dealer, pay them $57 for the part, and then pay them $100 at a minimum to unscrew and screw on the part and "torque" it. So, I'm looking at a total price of around $225 and time wasted at the shop for nothing.
-OR-
  • Say screw it, leave both of them Yoke, and just buy a whole new regulator set for me that is DIN because I'm angry, and you know what? I need one for my son anyways who just got certified.
So, question's, would the Scuba Pro "universal" https://www.scuba.com/p-scpdc3/scubapro-300-bar-4350-psi-din-conversion-kit work on the HOG D3? I don't know because I cannot get the manuals without taking a $400 class. Or any other one's that I may be missing?

Do any regulator companies still come with readily accessible user manuals, and parts that do not require money grabs to get? And if so, which would you recommend for cold/warm/murky and all-around durable rec/tec regulators?

I feel a lot better now, I am not as irrationally angry. I don't blame the employees of either company either. It is not their fault, but it's silly, nonetheless. Nice to meet ya'll.

Yeah, I have heard all of this for decades. It is time we have right to repair.

I ordered the Scubapro DIN kits on Amazon. I have acquired service kits all over including at what was a veritable temple to Scubapro parts kits in Dahab. If I do not have a tool, I make it. Scubapro parts just are not that hard to come by. If the Hog is a clone of a Scubapro then it will probably fit. They are not going to tell you.

Have you tried contacting Dive Right In Scuba? I bought HOG DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits from them, so maybe they also have Yoke-to-DIN.

Reactions: Zef
I bought a HOG kit from Divers Supply along with a couple Apeks kits. Toughest part was getting the yoke off as I had to grind a crowfoot to fit inside the casting.

Have you tried contacting Dive Right In Scuba? I bought HOG DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits from them, so maybe they also have Yoke-to-DIN.

I contacted them, same response as Diver's Supply.

I bought a HOG kit from Divers Supply along with a couple Apeks kits. Toughest part was getting the yoke off as I had to grind a crowfoot to fit inside the casting.

Do you remember when? It would appear if you have not taken the certification class that this is HOG's official new policy?

Hog D3 First Stage.... I guess I can just buy an entirely new 1st stage and have the other one as a backup. It's only $50 more than what it would cost me to get it done at the shop.

I feel your frustration. I came for a rant and I wasn't expeting a follow up question tbh.
reguarding the SP kit, I can't say for sure if they would fit -- I have never touched a HOG, but I can check measurments on a SP

I do have the schematics for the D3 (sadly no measurments -- as always)
can you measure the lower part (below shoulder) of pt. 4 (yoke retainer)-- that's where the sauce is
1719530215623.png

here is also the DIN version for D3
1719530434592.png

I will take out a DIN retainer from a SP on my side and get back to you (prolly tomorrow)

I feel your frustration. I came for a rant and I wasn't expeting a follow up question tbh.
reguarding the SP kit, I can't say for sure if they would fit -- I have never touched a HOG, but I can check measurments on a SP

I do have the schematics for the D3 (sadly no measurments -- as always)
can you measure the lower part (below shoulder) of pt. 4 (yoke retainer)-- that's where the sauce is

Absolutely!! It will be tomorrow morning around 11 AM EST as well for me when I can get it taken off and actually measure the retainer, but that would be awesome (currently on a work trip and get in tomorrow.)

Absolutely saving those schematics as well!!!! Thank you!

I contacted them, same response as Diver's Supply.
That's really odd. I mean, DRIS sells the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kit on their website, so why invoke the "you'll kill yourself" defense with the Yoke-to-DIN? Does HOG make a Yoke-to-DIN conversion kit?

Is the D3 yoke assembly the same as the D1 yoke assembly? I suppose I still have the DIN assemblies I removed from my D1s when I replaced them with yokes using the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits I bought from DRIS, and I have no need for them. I'm in Atlanta.

That's really odd. I mean, DRIS sells the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kit on their website, so why invoke the "you'll kill yourself" defense with the Yoke-to-DIN? Does HOG make a Yoke-to-DIN conversion kit?

Is the D3 yoke assembly the same as the D1 yoke assembly? I suppose I still have the DIN assemblies I removed from my D1s when I replaced them with yokes using the DIN-to-Yoke conversion kits I bought from DRIS, and I have no need for them. I'm in Atlanta.

Yes, it's blowing my mind. I just contacted a buddy who stated that they are not selling parts anymore unless you have the certification: "TDI Edge-Hog Service Technician Specialty." I know before one of the best-selling points with HOG were being able to get the kits yourself without a course, but now?

Coincidentally enough, this class is a virtual class offered by DRIS/Diver's Supply.

They do absolutely sell the Yoke to DIN, and even gave me the part number and price for it. Just based on appearances and my old D1, I do believe they are the same and I wish I would not have sold them now. If they are, and you're willing to trade a Yoke or let me purchase one I am game.

Yes, it's blowing my mind. I just contacted a buddy who stated that they are not selling parts anymore unless you have the certification: "TDI Edge-Hog Service Technician Specialty." I know before one of the best-selling points with HOG were being able to get the kits yourself without a course, but now?

Coincidentally enough, this class is a virtual class offered by DRIS/Diver's Supply.

They do absolutely sell the Yoke to DIN, and even gave me the part number and price for it. Just based on appearances and my old D1, I do believe they are the same and I wish I would not have sold them now. If they are, and you're willing to trade a Yoke or let me purchase one I am game.
At one time there was a very active DIY group on SB. We have lost too many over the past years 🙏 but it is still active. I suggest posting your problem there and see if anyone has one to sell, new or used. Or knows alternatives. Or you could post a want to buy thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom