Venice Shark Tooth Dive. 7/7/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Bend Brian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On Monday, July 7th we packed up the kiddies (2 & 4 years old) and hit the road to Venice (3.5 hour road trip from Gainesville FL). Once there we got the kids settled on the beach with shade and toys and with a sister-in-law watching the kiddies we entered the water to wreck havoc on the shark teeth population.

After diving three tanks (total) we found a total of 225 sharks teeth (not to mention the usual stingray mouth plates and barbs). The shark teeth ranged from tiny to numerous 2-inch sand shark teeth. Average size was an inch high. Our teeth consisted of bull, dusky, lemon, tiger, an extinct snaggletooth shark tooth, a few great white teeth (not megalodon), and sand tiger shark teeth. Actually, a large majority of the teeth were sand tiger teeth as there was a thin veneer of brown silt on the bottom that obscured the black color that I look for when tooth hunting. The sand tiger teeth are curved and stand out from the usual flat bottom and they are not difficult to see. We missed the ability to key in on the black color but we managed to work around it. It was harder to differentiate the flatter teeth with the sediment obscuring their outline on the bottom. No big Meg teeth but I keep telling myself one of these days……

Where we dove is about 200 yards offshore from the beach in 16 to 18 feet on the offshore side of the first rocky reef. Two hundred yards is even with the offshore end of the pier. Inside that 1st reef the vis was < 1 foot. On the offshore side of the reef the visibility ranged from 4 to 6 feet. Not great but very doable. Bottom temperature was ~85 degrees F. and there was no surge. When we first arrived the close in water was green and a bit discouraging but about even with the pier (200 yards out) it looked decent. We were quite comfortable just dive skins.

Low tide was 2:02 p.m. and that’s when were diving. There was a little surf and seas were ~ 1 foot. For about 15 minutes some dark clouds obscured the sun and it made finding teeth a little difficult. That full mid day sun really helps out. It was a fun day for everyone. One of these days I’m gonna find a megalodon……….
Brian

Sounds like we had better weather and vis, but sounds like you did better than us in numbers and size.

All in all, I would recommend diving Venice to ANYONE who likes the thrill of finding stuff.

When we were there, my nephew found a few on the beach and in the shallows. He really wants to find bigger and in greater quantities, but gotta get him qualified first!

Sounds like yo were diving near Sharky's. North or south of the pier? How far?

The good news is Whites are rarer and more valuable than Megs.

Here's a low quality pic of the teeth.
l44178.jpg

We also love walking a local Gainesville area creek, the HogTown Creek, looking for shark teeth. Using a shovel and screen you can find a large number of teeth. It’s no secret around Gainesville that you can find teeth in our local creeks.

Knavey, our kids only found about 12 small teeth in the surf using a shark tooth rake. I can remember before the beach renourishment (maybe ~7 years ago) you could walk the beach and find a lot of teeth. Especially when there was a 2 foot shell bank just above the high tide line. It was impressive. Now you don’t find many walking.

Walter, we we’re diving at the public beach just north of the pier. Then we dive straight out. You’re a lucky dog having this kind of beach diving. As far as marine life goes we saw a number of small jack crevalles schools, the usual sand perch (fun to drop small things and watch as they bite the items as they fall), one very small flounder, quite a lot of juvenile sea robins, a ton of small Callenectes spp. Crabs, and on the inshore reef a few sub-legal gag grouper. Loves those gags!!! The wifer even got to nav a little on the way back (new compass). We do a 260º out and come back on an 80º heading.

If anyone knows anything about the close offshore fossil beds in 24-28 feet just offshore of the Venice Inlet I would love to hear more. I’d like to bring my boat down and do a few dives in those beds. One question I have is whether the shark teeth you find in those deeper beds are any larger than the ones you find on the beach dive?
Brian

Nice looking Tiger! I don't see the Whites or the Snaggle tooth, but a crab claw made it's way into the picture. I've not had much luck north of the pier, you did well.

Walter, I took that picture after I posted my report and I was in a rush to get the picture added. At the picture taking time my children were a little demanding and I should of stopped and waited to take the pic at another time. Instead, I kept working on getting the picture and didn’t take the time to think about putting in the whites and the snaggle tooth into the picture.

Sounds like you tooth hunt south of the pier. If you don’t mind my asking how far south of the pier do you hunt? I was just off the public beach (area with the shower to wash the sand off and a small playground).
Brian

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom