Venice Beach Shark Tooth Festival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone tell me a little about the shark tooth festival and what it's all about? I'd like to drive down from Charlotte, North Carolina and do a little shark tooth diving and see what the teeth in your area look like. Are there any dive operators that take you to places where some decent teeth can be found? Are shore dives worth a try?

Any info would help us decide if it's worth a 10 hour trip each way this weekend.

Thanks,
Matt

I've not been yet, but there are plenty of people on the Board who have (CBulla can help you out if you ask nicely, but beware of his avatar!). Not sure if you want to drive all the way to FL when the opportunity is also available in SC - unless of course, you've already done the sharks tooth hunting there.

Firebrand:
I've not been yet, but there are plenty of people on the Board who have (CBulla can help you out if you ask nicely, but beware of his avatar!). Not sure if you want to drive all the way to FL when the opportunity is also available in SC - unless of course, you've already done the sharks tooth hunting there.

I just saw your post about the sharks tooth diving in SC concerning the video, and now I stick to my previous comment to ask Colin (CBulla) about the conditions & finds at Venice Beach.

The shark tooth festival is an outdoor party with lots of booths (tables) under canvas. You'll see lots of shark tooth crafts and a few fossil experts.

I've dived Venice Beach once or twice and have found some teeth. Most of the teeth found are from Bulls, Duskies, and Lemons, although Sand Tigers are also fairly common. Tigers are much harder to find and there are other unusual teeth to be found as well. Megalodons are found, but are not exactly common. My largest is a 4 inch tooth, but I've seen bigger ones pulled out. Whites are one of the rarest finds at Venice. You'll also find other fossils - Stingray barbs and dental plates are very common, but mouth parts from puffers are also found with some regularity as are bones and teeth from critters such as horses, camels and the like.

I've heard good things about Florida Scuba West charters, but I've always dived from the beach.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom