Venice Beach report 04/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a day for a dive. Weather was perfect, except the wind was a bit strong, but at least it was out of the NE.

Met up with Firebrand at Alhambra, and after a detour to Florida West, we hit the water around 10:30.

My expectations for this dive were dim. The water looked milky, and the other groups of divers were out and in in a short amount of time. We went out anyway, and had a pretty decent dive. Vis was 1' with 2' patches (over the beds too :)). We found some stuff, around 40 teeth, nothing spectacular. We spent a few minutes digging on the drop off next to shore and found a couple of small (but nice) teeth.

We decided to head to Casperson beach for the second dive, but there were no parking spaces available, unless we wanted to walk a loooooong way, so we headed back to alhambra.

We didn't make it. We stopped just north of Casperson and decided to try there. About 1/4 mile south of the pier. Dropped down just past the sandbar to around 7' and headed west. VIS SUCKED. Maybe 6" at most. I was about to call it a day, when it started clearing up - all the way to a spectacular 6-8'! 11 minutes into the dive, Firebrand taps me and shows me a MEG he just found. Not two minutes later, I found 1/2 a meg (500k?).

Looked around and headed out to 18'-20'. Found a slight (maybe 1/2 knot) southerly current, so we did a drift dive over the reef. Really relaxing and nice dive. It's a shame that most of this reef will be gone soon.

Firebrand, really nice to meet you. Hope we have a chance to dive together again soon.

6" viz is lousy there? The three times I went off the beach in Venice, viz averaged zero to about 1', and closer to zero most of the time. 3' would have felt like a dive in a spring. 6' might have been too much for me to handle.
I might have to try again over there. Long drive though.

It was about as bad it could get and still find teeth. 0 vis is not unheard of there.

ReefGuy:
We didn't make it. We stopped just north of Casperson and decided to try there. About 1/4 mile south of the pier. Dropped down just past the sandbar to around 7' and headed west. VIS SUCKED. Maybe 6" at most. I was about to call it a day, when it started clearing up - all the way to a spectacular 6-8'! 11 minutes into the dive, Firebrand taps me and shows me a MEG he just found. Not two minutes later, I found 1/2 a meg (500k?).
Sorry i couldnt make it. So is this a new spot to hit once the renourishment takes places or is this within the same boundaries or dumping? Sounds good though! Hope to get down one day when i get some free time.

Yes. the replenishment stops at the pier.

ReefGuy:
Yes. the replenishment stops at the pier.
Everything else is good about the site - access, parking, short walk etc? How far out to where you found beds?

New tooth hunting ground in a month or so????

Parking is limited to around 10 cars. The upside is that both the pier and casperson's was full and this place was not. Beds were about the same distance out (around 14').

I'd say this place bears a closer look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom