Venice beach in the news, kinda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
VENICE, Fla. - The Coast Guard and local agencies are currently at the scene of a debris field located about 10:30 last night after witnesses reported a small plane crash to 911. Shortly after finding the debris field last night, the body of a deceased female was located and taken into custody by the Sarasota Sheriff's Office.

A husband and wife couple and a friend of theirs, all from Ann Arbor, Mich., were on the AC-11 Commander single prop plane. The plane's departure point was tracked to Saline, Mich., and they are believed to have been visiting family in Venice. The plane's last known communication was with Tampa Airport three hours prior to the crash, which occurred around 9:45 p.m. There were no May Day transmissions reported.

The debris and the body were located in about 25-feet of water last night one mile west of Venice Municipal Airport during a search conducted by a Coast Guard Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Clearwater and a rescue boat from Station Cortez, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC) and Sarasota Sheriff's Office and Fire and Rescue.

The Coast Guard Cutter Marlin assisted with the search throughout the night and is currently on scene with Coast Guard Station Cortez, the FWCC, Sarasota Sheriff's Office and local divers. Due to the condition of the body and the debris and the fact that multiple rescue units were on scene just minutes after the crash, it is believed there are no survivors. Weather conditions last night were calm and clear, this morning's seas are a one to two foot chop.

Names of the deceased are not being released due to next of kin not being notified yet. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will be investigating the accident.

That's pretty tragic. My condolonces to the families affected by this.

Well, thats one way to get to the boneyard..

A deceased person into custody.. that line made me think of Weekend at Bernies..

OK.. I'm done with the jokes.. Its kind of a sad thing to have loss of life in such a fashion as this.

I haven't heard from him yet, but I believe that Wildbill was there.

It was either right on the boneyard or a little south of it (but not much).

It's always sad to hear about a plane crash, especially when there are fatalities.

Agreed. Hopefully, they will be able to find all of the victims.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom