Venice Beach Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have done quite a few searches and I still have a few questions. The main one being, does it matter whether or not it is high or low tide when doing beach dives? I know in the Florida panhandle we mainly do beach dives at slack tide because of the ripping current, but I haven't read anything about it at Venice.

Secondly, do any locals have recommendations on where to stay? Three of us will be there the weekend of Sept 9th and 10th, and we will just need a place that has basic accomodations and is scuba-friendly. We are thinking about either the Holiday Inn or the Best Western Ambassador Suites.

Currently we are signed up with Florida West Scuba to do their shark tooth dives both Sat and Sun, but would you guys recommend beach dives one day and boat dives the next, or are boat dives generally better (other than the fact that they aren't free)? The only reason I would consider not going on Sat is that it is going to interfere with Auburn's football game that day. I am having a hard enough time with not going to the game, so not watching it will be an even bigger sin.

That brings me to my next question. Is there anywhere nearby that I can have a pretty good shot at watching the game? It will be televised on Jefferson Pilot Sports. If not, all I need is an internet connetion to watch it off my laptop.

So, would you guys recommend which of the following two plans:
1. Dive with Florida West Scuba both Sat and Sun and maybe (but probably not) squeeze in a beach dive on Sat evening. OR
2. Do 1 or 2 beach dives Sat AM, watch my favorite team play on Sat while have a few drinks a one of Venice Beach's fine local establishments, and then Diving with Florida West Scuba on Sunday AM.

I personally would have a drink or two at Bogey's or with burgers on Saturday or margaritas at Chili's and dive with Florida West on Sunday.
My mom lives in Venice so I have been out on Florida West Shark tooth dives before and they are fun, vis up to MAYBE 15+ft in 25 fsw.
The jetties in Venice might be an intetesting night diversion, but have not tried them yet.
Have fun, dive safe.

Even if there were no such thing as phootball, I'd recommend plan #2 because you really should experience the beach dive if you can. On your boat dive Steve will probably put you on the teeth, so you are likely to go home as a conquerer.

Oh, and: Beer:30

As far as where to stay, closest chain would be the Hampton. It's about 2 blocks from the dive shop.

The Holiday Inn is almost as close and seems to be a nice hotel. Best Western is a bit of a dump, I am told...

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and the Hampton, I prefer the Hampton. Tides do not matter, and as mentioned Steve will put you on the teeth. I would suggest doing the boat both days in case you get blown out on one day. After you return from the boat you can hit the beach, we have done this several times. I go there with my family every year, many times we meet people on the boat and do a beach dive together afterwards

adurso:
I would suggest doing the boat both days in case you get blown out on one day. After you return from the boat you can hit the beach, we have done this several times. I go there with my family every year, many times we meet people on the boat and do a beach dive together afterwards

Great suggestion, but the problem with that idea is that my Sat afternoon, at the very least, will be devoted to football, not diving. And Sunday after the boat dive we will be starting our 10 hour drive home. This will be the last day of a 10 day diving tour of Florida and we will want to get home before 1 or 2 AM on Monday so we can make it to work. Therefore, the only way we will probably get any beach diving in is if we get there early enough on Friday to get one in (probably wont arrive until at least 5 PM) or if we do it Sat AM before college football kicks off for the day.

Thanks for answering all of my questions guys. As of right now, here is our tentative plan:

Arrive Friday evening and either get in a quick beach dive or head for the restraunts / bars.

Wake up Sat AM and hit the beaches for some shark tooth hunting. We could stay out there a while with Steel 130s strapped to our backs! - (although the walk to the water will suck) Then around noon we will hit up Bogeys. Any locals want to join us for diving and beer? You are more than welcome, and even encouraged. We would appreciate the help finding the sweet spots.

Sunday AM we will dive with Florida West, and after the boat brings us back in we will have to start our journey back to Alabama.

jeepbrew:
Thanks for answering all of my questions guys. As of right now, here is our tentative plan:

Arrive Friday evening and either get in a quick beach dive or head for the restraunts / bars.

Wake up Sat AM and hit the beaches for some shark tooth hunting. We could stay out there a while with Steel 130s strapped to our backs! - (although the walk to the water will suck) Then around noon we will hit up Bogeys. Any locals want to join us for diving and beer? You are more than welcome, and even encouraged. We would appreciate the help finding the sweet spots.

Sunday AM we will dive with Florida West, and after the boat brings us back in we will have to start our journey back to Alabama.

You should really enjoy the dive with Florida west. I went with them once and had a great time. Very accomodating.

Matteo:
it's too early to tell, but if I'm in town that weekend, I'd be happy to meet you for a beach dive and maybe even beer and football afterwards

Sounds like a plan Matteo. Will be in touch.

Once again guys, thanks for all the info.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom