Vehicle recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I do weekly scooter, stage dives and love our 2001 ford escape. You can get them used nowadays for around 5k...but a two stage scooter dive maxes the car out. I have van envy, sure it'll stink after a while but some of the vans around here are clearly winners for this type of thing....if you have lots of cash it'd be hard to beat a sportmobile van....

Hey Elemental,

It seems like the FJ might be an option. I have a (non-diving) buddy that has one and I'll pick his brain about it. I think your Element is quite loaded down with 2-4 doubles, 10+ stages/deco, 2 scoots, plus all the other cr@p for 2 technical divers. That equipment list seems to grow each trip. Maybe it's time to store some gear in Florida?

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 11:23 AM ----------

Plus if you got an FJ, you could change your SB handle to FJello

Well you're in quite the pickle, aren't ya?

I have a sport trac (kind of a truck, but kind of an SUV) with the stock bed cover and bed extender. With a little cajoling and a solid background in Tetris, you can fit 2 sets of 104s, 3 35Ah Gavins (plus a Magnum if you enjoy back injuries), ~15 stage bottles, and all the extras (wings, plates, suits, regs, trinkets) for cave diving. The safety is questionable, the MPG is acceptable, and I get through areas where by buddy's Tundra has been stuck (TWICE, Brian...), even when loaded down with all the business.

Plus, its got heated leather seats. Ladies love it.
not my fault.
and getting the 4x4 solves that problem

I use the Ford Expedition, mine is 4 WD with upgraded 3:73 gears for better towing as opposed to the 3:30 stock, will load with 4 divers, gear & pull a trailer & if I keep it under 80mph get 20mpg. Only thing I would recommend is the self leveling air ride suspension especially with its IRS. Rides like a car and fits in my garage. And if you need a bit more room get the EL (extended length).
As far as that diesel complaint most of the ones in Europe will not pass USA EPA standards.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom